Chap. 2

I manage to step down the long stairs, my body slowly unfreezing from its awkward position

I manage to step down the long stairs, my body slowly unfreezing from its awkward position. I enter the enormous modern parlor where my best friend and first ex-boyfriend are located as they converse calmly.

I clear my throat, provoking their attention to snap to me as I stand behind the brownish-white sofa with my nervous fingers lacing with one another.

"Hi," Julian says, his voice subtly filled with nervousness.

"Hey," I try my best to hide my uneasiness and glance at Scarlett, unsure of what to do or say.

This is the first time in almost a year we've spoken to each other. Saying that I'm panicking is an understatement.

She wiggles her brows. I push back the desire to glare at her and walk towards them, facing the guy who has had my heart in his hands all this time. "W-what are you doing here?"

"Matt and I have a group project to work on," he answers, his eyes twinkling with the most beautiful brown tint.

"Oh."

His dimples dig so deep in his cheeks that I have to force myself to look away. There are a few seconds of awkward silence stretched between us so Scarlett clears her throat.

"Uh," she swoops in to save me, I believe. "I think you two have a lot to talk about."

No! She can't possibly abandon us.

Julian's precious confidence dissipates as he nods and rubs his forearm, looking down at the floor. Scarlett turns around and leaves.

"So, um..." I say timidly, just exactly when he says, "So, listen..."

"I'm sorry," I chuckle softly, brushing my arm. "You go first."

He rubs the back of his head. "Did you get the, um..."

The most significant piece of paper that got me so confused and messed up? Oh, yeah, I did. My brain keeps telling me to burn it but my heart is still contemplating.

"Uh...yeah, I did," I say instead.

He slowly nods and takes a careful step closer to me, my heart beating furiously. "And?"

And I didn't think I'd have to talk to you face to face right...today!

"Do I really have to give you an answer right here, right now?" I ask with a timid voice. "Because I'm so confused and surprised and you coming to my house just makes me really..."