Chap. 39

Another long week has passed

Another long week has passed. Ethan's family, as well as T5IA, have handled his issues and made sure that the men who wanted money from him are going to stay away from him...for good.

With tons of cash in their pockets, why else would they return?

Thankfully for us, it's like people are slowly starting to forget what happened during prom night. And we're all just trying to move on from it.

After all...it's finally summer! The sizzling and balmy time of the year has arrived at last. Which means it's vacay time. Time to forget these past hectic weeks. Whoop, whoop!

"Honey, will you come to the dining room, please?" My mother calls over the intercom, interrupting my precious diary-and-me time.

I sigh as I jump out of bed after closing my journal. I tie my hair into a messy bun and head downstairs.

"What's the matter?" I ask mom as I get to the dining room. She looks up from her laptop and signals for me to take a seat at the table, next to her.

"So I know I told you that you and your friends could have the lake house for summer and stay there as long as you want but..." She removes her glasses from her face, emphasizing the last word. "Some friends of mine from Algeria need a place to stay for a few weeks and I told them that I own two more places; the beach house and the lake house-"

"Aaand they chose the lake house," I finish for her, leaning back in my chair and rolling my lips into my mouth. "Great."

My friends and I went to the beach house last year. So we were all looking forward to a new place to spend summer.

"I'm sorry, sweetie. But I'm sure your friends wouldn't mind...would they?"

"No, of course not, Mom," I assure, smiling kindly. "It'll still be fun."

She smiles, reaching for my hand to peck it. "Yes! Thank you, baby."

I giggle, rolling my eyes. "Is that all?"

"Yes," she nods, letting go of my hand.

I get up from the chair and she immediately calls my name. "Will you call Suzanne for me? I need more caffeine."

"What you need is more sleep, Mom. Not coffee," I say, giving her a worried look. "You've been working all night, you should take a break, don't you think?"

She has spent practically the entire day with her eyes focused on her laptop screen. It's not at all healthy.

"Thanks for your concern, baby, but momma bear here has to feed six Johnsons."

"So does papa bear," I remind her. "But you two haven't had a vacay in, like, a whole year. Why don't you take a few weeks off?"

She sighs. "I'll think about it."