Chap. 29

"Why aren't you smiling"

"I don't want to."

"But it's been so long since we've last talked," my brother, Martin — the one who's in college — says. "Aren't you happy to see my face?"

"You're blocking the camera with your finger, doofus."

"Oh, right," he chuckles, shaking his bangs out of his face. "There. How do I look?"

"Nerdy as always." I stick my tongue out at him, smiling playfully.

"You're a nerd. I'm the coolest guy on earth."

"That's what idiotic nerds like you say. Just give up, Martin. You know I'm good with comebacks."

He laughs, adjusting his phone so that it transmits a better image of his face.

"Were you asleep?" I ask, letting out a yawn as I curl in bed. "Did I wake you?"

"Nah," he waves his free hand dismissively. "I was busy studying like a maniac."

I pout. "At two in the morning?"

"College life, lil sis. It's like the professors here hate us."

I sigh sadly as I cuddle with my pet pillow.

"Why are you up?" He questions, pressing his round glasses to the bridge of his nose. "Did Mario piss you off again?"

"This time it wasn't him, actually. For the first time in forever. Can you believe that?"

"What? Not Mario? Have you been consuming alcohol or something?"

I let out a breath, unable to smile at his joke.

"So who broke my little sister's heart this time?" He demands, his eyes filling with regard and solicitude simultaneously.

"Julian," I murmur, feeling my heart ache a little at the mention of his name.

"Your Julian?" He stretches his eyes open. "Are you serious?"

I nod shortly.

"Fuck," he laments, whistling in awe. "Julian?"

"Yes, Martin," I roll my eyes, emphasizing the first word.

"I never in my life expected that. Julian seems to really care about you, Ky. Whatever he did, I don't think he meant to hurt you. Are you sure it was Julian?"