Chap. 31

Thank you AnjaliDedha5 for this beautiful book trailer. Guys, I'm gonna have to ask you for a huge favor. Portray Julian (Nick Jonas) as Alex Pettyfer (who's supposed to be Mario). This sucks, I know, but I can't change the cast because of all the character descriptions I've already applied to this book. So bear with me here and enjoy :)

"You're right on time for dessert," Emma smiles at me, placing the bowl of ice cream on the center of the dinner table

"Great," I smile back, heading over to the table. "But I need actual food."

"Let me serve some for you," she offers, getting a clean plate from the table.

"Thanks," I say, taking a seat next to Julian. "So what did I miss? Besides Julian's delicious dish, of course."

"I learned that Julian is basketball team captain," Dad begins after taking a sip of his red wine. "Why didn't you tell me this before? You know how much I love basketball."

"I don't know if you remember this, Dad, but I can't really talk about Julian in front of my brothers."

"Why not?" Julian's dad — who's sitting next to my parents, right across from me — inquires.

"Oh, they're just overprotective," Mom responds, offering him a smile.

"Come on, Mom," I roll my eyes. "You know that's an understatement. Mark and Mario basically hate seeing me with guys. Especially Mario."

"Wow, really?" Julian's dad widens his eyes a little before raising his wine glass to his lips. "That is aggravating."

I shrug. "I'm trying to learn how to live with it."

Emma places my plate of food in front of me and I flash her a grateful smile.

Soon, all adults begin to chat and laugh with one another, leaving Julian and me to melt into a quiet conversation.

"How is she?" He asks, referring to Scarlett.

I let out a sigh after swallowing the food in my mouth. "Broken. Internally Scarred. Depressed. Marvin really crossed the limits this time."

"Fuck," he mutters. "What did he do?"

"He's been bullying her, calling her overweight and hideous. To make things worse, she's already been bullied when she was younger because of her diamond-shaped body. Marvin's words only stretched the wound."

He shakes his head in disbelief, his jaw muscles ticking. "What an asshole."

"He's so not going to get away with it," I say impassively. "I'll make him apologize. On his knees."