Chap. 36

"You guys are the best," I confess as I pull my friends for a side-hug while exiting Pizzeria Bianco

"You guys are the best," I confess as I pull my friends for a side-hug while exiting Pizzeria Bianco. "This has been the most fantastic day ever, all thanks to you guys."

"Hey, what about us?" Matt calls, pointing his fingers at himself and raising an eyebrow.

"I meant all of you," I roll my eyes smilingly before heading towards my parents. "Thanks for all the love and support, fam."

Even you, Mario and Marvin.

Mario and Marvin awkwardly turn around and pretend to observe random people, as if they have absolutely no interest in me — which of course is a lie. For me, somehow, them being here shows a tiny bit of empathy. Mario was able to control his anger towards Julian and I honestly think he's starting to believe we're just friends.

Marvin, on the other hand, seemed uncomfortable and scared, I believe. I don't care though, as long as he behaves, I'm cool.

"We're always gonna be there for you, honey," Dad assures in a soft tone before planting a kiss on my forehead and running his hand down my arm. I can see the pride and joy swimming in those eyes of his that for once, don't look so listless.

However, I also know that he's being able to sense the awkward and angry tension stretched between Mario and me. And especially between Marvin and me.

"Now," Dad continues, turning to look at my friends with a tired smile. "It's getting pretty late, kids. I'm grateful for having all of you accompany us on such a special night and I wish we could control time but unfortunately we can't. And I don't want your parents to worry, so...does everybody have a car?"

They all nod.

"Alright then, go before I start receiving angry calls from worried parent-bears."

We all chuckle before beginning to give our goodbyes.

"Drive safe!" I yell at all of them as I watch them head to their cars, sending Julian a special smile and receiving a cute one in response.

"You too, champion," Ethan yells back, a two-finger salute meeting my sight.

I smile again, leaning my face on my dad's forearm. "Thank you, Dad. For this surprise." I raise my head and look at my mom. "And you, Mom. Thank you for this."

Mom smiles and Dad wraps his arm around my shoulders. "Pumpkin, you deserve this. I know it's just the beginning and I also know that you're scared but you have to keep in mind that you're an amazing swimmer."

"Keep your head up and stop getting intimidated." Mom joins. "You're Kylie Johnson. No one can ever bring you down, you hear me?"

I nod, my smile widening.

"You've got this."

***

"I've got this."