Chap. 18

"Is mom home?" I ask Suzanne as I toss my car keys into the key rack

She hums in agreement, fixing the pillows modernly on the davenport.

"Shit," I hiss, making my way to the staircase. "If she asks, I'm not home yet."

"I don't think so." I hear Mom's voice. She clears her throat. "Young lady!"

I cringe, stopping mid-way on the steps as I find an angry momma bear at the top of the stairs.

"Have I ever told you how much I love you?" I ask, grinning apologetically.

She narrows her eyes at me and crosses her arms across her chest. "You're grounded, Kylie Johnson."

I groan, continuing to walk up the stairs.

"No swimming for a week."

"What? You can't do that. You know the swimming tournament is around the corner."

"You should've thought about that before you decided to disobey me," she smiles.

"I just missed the water, mom-"

"You're grounded!"

"But I'm...I'm sick. You can't ground me."

Seriously? That's all I can come up with?

"Oh so now you acknowledge it?"

I roll my eyes, crossing my arms across my chest. This is so unfair.

"You're not leaving this house unless you're going to school," she continues, walking away whilst I follow her. "And no swim practice for a week."

"You can't do that!"

"Watch me."

She steps into her office and closes the door in my face whilst I drop my jaw. I sigh and angrily storm off to my bedroom.

Fucking great.

Now I'm definitely going to have Penelope beat my ass in the competitions.

I slam my bedroom door and throw myself onto my bed, regretting it afterward because it causes my headache to worsen.

"Luncheon is ready," I hear Suzanne's voice over the intercom.

I lazily scurry to my bathroom and take a thirty-minute-long bath, washing my hair afterward. I step out of the bathroom smelling like guava, free from the scent of chlorine that had been bugging me all day.

"Are you coming or what?" I hear Matt's voice as he enters my bedroom.

"I'm dressing up," I tell him as I head to my closet, my towel wrapped around my body.

"What you did today was fucking stupid."

"I'm not in the mood for another lecture, thank you." I sigh, going through some comfy outfits.