Chapter 11. The Match

Joey’s POV

The gym was crowded with people as the match was about to start any minute, Sam and I were standing on the second row from the right corner of the ring which gives us a clear view on what will happen with the fight. I was never a big fan of boxing, so I didn’t really know what’s gonna happen here. As far as I know, they just beat the crap out of each other, and the person who has lesser blood in his nose would be declared as the winner. I’m not sure, it could also be the person who doesn’t lose a tooth, though.

I guess Matt is kinda popular here, I can hear a lot of people talking about him, even placing their bets on him. So that explains the bruises, I told myself. I always sensed ruggedness and toughness from his personality, but it never crossed my mind that he was a boxer, although he’s toned muscles and hot abs could have been a clue...

Feeling my face heat up, I shook my head, clearing out my thoughts. Get a grip bi*ch, I scolded myself. He’s got a great body and handsome face but that’s it. He’s just another guy.  There’s nothing special. I shrugged.

“Joey?” A voice of a man asked.

I spun around and saw a tall Mexican guy with wavy black hair, I recognized his face but I can’t remember his name. “Err...Hey...” I told him, making it sound more like a question.

He must have noticed my confusion. “Hi, I’m Rico. You know, Mattie’s friend...from the club?” He grinned.

Oh crap, he knows the nickname. I must have said it when I was drunk. “Yeah, Rico...I remember you. Don’t let him hear that nickname though, he might kill you.” I added, smiling slyly at him.

He laughed. “Hey there, Sam.” He said, slapping a high five at him. He then looked back at me smiling. “You’re here to support Matt, huh?”

“As if I have any choice.” I rolled my eyes. “Sam here wants to see his brother fight but he was not allowed, and he was about to cry so...” I trailed off as I felt Sam nudged me on the side, I winked at him and Rico laughed again. “I’m guessing you’re a boxer too then, don’t you have any fight?” I asked him.

“Yeah I am, but I only fight every once a month unlike Matt who is always ‘in demand’ here,  so he gets booked for matches a lot of times.” He replied. He was about to say more when a loud echo rang throughout the room. The fight was about to start.

The announcer said his remarks and started introducing the fighters who are now climbing inside the ring. Matt’s opponent was British- African and looks fierce. He was 6’4, taller than him by a couple of inches and has big protruding muscles. He kept jumping on his corner, showing that he’s utterly ready to fight, as the announcer finishes his introduction and turns to Matt.

A loud cheer echoed in the room as the announcer introduced him. Unlike his opponent, Matt was just standing calmly on the corner. Rico’s shouts made him turn towards our direction as his eyes fell on both of us. He gave us a blank expression, making me shift from my foot uncomfortably, until the bell finally rang as the signal for the start of the fight.

The first round started and the two fighters immediately rounded each other. The African guy was so aggressive that he started throwing several punches, all of which were successfully blocked by Matt.

Matt then throws a punch, a right hook as Rico labelled, and makes his Brit-African opponent step back. A loud jeer rang around me making my ears hurt. Damn it. So, this is what boxing is like? More like I was watching Bullfight, I thought while rolling my eyes. The two guys rounded each other once more, throwing random punches until the bell rang again as the end of the round.