twenty three

Justin

The past month feels like it has been the best month of my life. I'm in the best place with Valerie right now and I couldn't ask for anything else.

She had gone with her best friend for a two camp and texted me an hour ago that she's back home. It was almost dinner time but I couldn't wait to see her anymore. So I got dressed and drover straight to her house.

I rang the doorbell impatiently and waited. I could've opened it with the spare key she gave me but her parents are probably home right now, I don't want to creep them out.

Seconds later, the door was opened, not by Valerie but her mother.

"Oh hey Justin, come on in" She smiled and let me in.

"How are you doing Mrs. Hill" I said as hugged her.

"I'm doing all fine, how about you?" She asked.

"Better than ever" I answered.

"Where's Val?" I asked.

"Oh she's upstairs and sleeping. She said she was too tired to stay up for dinner" She said.

"Oh, I should've called" I said. 

"Oh no, its alright, now that you're here, have dinner and go" She said and I smiled.

"Okay" I said and followed her into the kitchen.

She was yet to finish cooking so I sat on the counter as we talked about random stuff.

"Honey, can I just how glad I am that Val's found you. She needed a person like you after that abusive monster messed her up like that" She said and my head snapped towards her after what she said.

"A-Abusive monster?" I said, almost mumbled.

"Yeah, I'm talking about Christian" She said and then looked at me.

"She did tell you about him right?" She asked and I managed to gather a smile and nodded.

"Yeah, she did" I lied.

"If only he would've never come into her life, she wouldn't have had to go through that" She said and I listened to her intently.

"Well, it was Val's fault somewhere too. She shouldn't have kept it a secret nor stuck with him for so long" She said. I couldn't feel my heart in my chest anymore as I connected the faint dots and I could see a faded outline in front of me and I knew what it was.

It was as if Mrs. Hill was talking about Eve and not Valerie.

"V-Val, never talks about it too much, but can you tell me more about Christian, just curious" I said and she nodded.

"She hates to talk about it, and as long as it comes to Christian, that guy deserves to be loved by no one. He has always been a horrible person and still is. But now if he tries to trouble her....she's got you" She said and smiled at me.

I again managed to mirror her smile.

"Mrs. Hill..." I mumbled.

"Yes sweetheart?" 

"Can I stay over tonight, I've missed Valerie a lot" I mumbled and she chuckled.

"Of course you can, you never have to ask" She said and gave me a soft pat on my cheek.

We then had dinner and mostly avoided Christian's topic. My mind was too disturbed to focus on the conversation.

So after the dinner I offered to help clean the dishes but she denied and I went upstairs to Val's room.