Chapter Thirty-Five

Hey all :)

Thank you all so much for all your votes and comments you are all amazing!

Mel x

Chapter Thirty-Five

Three weeks has past since I had seen my mother, and in one way, I thank god that I haven’t seen her since.

Damon has been searching through files at work, but they all just stated that they where found dead. However, when he brought home there files, I began to study them more closely. It explained how they where found in a burned out car, and their bodies where to badly burned to be identified. Nevertheless, the police at the scene did manage to find, my brothers wallet and my mothers handbag. Which by the photo’s they have in the files, I could see that they had most probably flown out of the car when it exploded.

Taking a closer look at the photos, I noticed that the handbag and wallet just looked like they had a little smoke damage. I know I am no detective, but surely, someone must have noticed this, I thought to myself.  If they were in the explosion, they should at least have burn marks or something. My head was spinning as I tried to take in all the information. Then out of the corner of my eyes, I spotted a big brown envelope and in big bold red writing, it said private and confidential. Picking it up, I held it in my hands, which were now sweating like mad. I wanted to open it but I felt so nervous. For the first time since I started to look into these files, I was actually feeling scared, scared of what I was going to find.

Slowly I started to open the envelope up, but with my hands shaking uncontrollably, it was so hard. As I didn’t want to rip anything that was in it, as I had a feeling that everything I needed to know, was going to be in this envelope.

As soon as I managed to open it, I emptied all the contents on to the floor in front of me. My heart pounded in my chest as a photo of the burned out car came in to view. “OMG,” I thought to myself. I knew straight away, that if my mother and brother were in that car, then they didn’t stand a chance of surviving. As there was, nothing left but the shell of the car. I could feel the wetness of my tears running down my cheeks, as I looked at the photo.

 Looking through the rest of the photos made me feel sick. They where awful, then as picked up the last photo I felt my heart shatter into what seemed like a million pieces. It was a photo, of two dead bodies, that were that burned, you couldn’t even recognise them. Grabbing the wastepaper basket from beside me, I started to throw up. 

I must have sat there for hours just staring at the photos, as before I knew it, Damon was walking into the front room. He had just finished an eight-hour shift and he looked exhausted. “Hey, have you been sitting here all day?” Damon asked looking concern and even a little mad. “Hey to you too and yes I have. However I didn’t realise how long, up until now.” I replied honestly. “Well please tell me you have at least eaten?” he asked. “I had breakfast, and I will cook us dinner now” I replied. Damon did not look to happy and I knew it was because I had not eaten since breakfast. However, I really didn’t realise the time until now, I thought to myself. He leaned down and gave me a quick kiss before going up stairs. While he went upstairs to change out of his uniform, I went into the kitchen to get a start on dinner. By the time he had come back down, dinner was just ready.

 While eating our diner, he began to tell me what he had been up to today and by the sounds of it, he had one very busy eventful day. I on the other hand had told him what I had found in the files and thankfully, he agreed with me. He also thought that some of the evidence looked planned out. He looked puzzled and almost angry as I pointed some things out. “This looks like a mole has been working on this case,” he said, more to himself than to me. “Damon if that’s true, then its possible that I did actually see my mother and she is still out there somewhere. But if she is why didn’t she just talk to me or better still come back for me?” I asked. Damon didn’t respond but I could see he was hurt, but why would he feel hurt? I asked myself. Damon then started to clean our dishes up.