Part 5.

What is being an assistant?

Miller thought it was just getting coffee in the morning and being at his beck and call, which was  something he wasn't fond of. That's what happens when you key someone car.

Now he wasn't enjoying anything one bit. Miller didn't want to be his assistant. Carl was the enemy and he and Paris would suffer at Miller's hand. He sounded like an evil villain from a comic book plotting to take over the world. Though Miller didn't know how to proceed with his plan.

He of course thought about getting back with Paris. That would seal the deal. The engagement would be broken. Carl would be devastated like he was. The thing was Miller wanted both of them to feel hurt. Every one of the plans he came up with only had one or the other suffering at his hands.

Miller thought about it every second. He truly loved Paris.

He had a few extra zeros than he did.

It made his blood boil. Love wasn't about money. It was mutual understanding, compassion and trust. Miller still couldn't understand. His love was replaced with money. Did she even love the man sitting before Miller?

Yes, he was handsome. Miller was angry but not stupid. He'd acknowledged the other mans good points. The wealthy CEO of this company. Miller would never say that the man was well above him. It was a further blow to his pride. 

"Do you have anything to say?" Carl asked, looking up from the paper he was signing.

I have plenty to say.

He inwardly rolled his eyes. Clicking his tongue lightly. Miller was sitting there doing nothing for free. When he could've been on the fourth floor in his cubicle doing some actual work and getting paid. This wasn't what he signed up for when he joined this company.

He shouldn't have even got out of bed to come work for him. Yes, he'd worked for him all those years but now he was his sworn enemy. He might as well have just quit his job but that would only make him look weak, like a pushover. Quitting after finding out his ex was dating his boss. That was just running away with his tail between his legs.

"You could pretend to enjoy doing your job," Carl added.

Miller scoffed. His real job was on the fourth floor. "Why would I enjoy working for you?"

"You've been doing it for years." Carl reminded him. Miller knew well. That was before he knew who he was working with and what the slimy bastard did. "Tell you what," Carl got from behind his desk. The same mischievous smile from before plastered on his face. "You can stop working as my assistance as long as you pay."

Carl took up a miniature note pad and scribbled down some digits. He handed it to Miller. He went from not having to pay to having to pay. Just within a day. What happened to being Paris's friend. The thought hurt it enough. If it had to get Miller out of this hellish situation. Friend he shall be.

Taking shaking breaths he counted the zeros one more time. There's no way keying a car would get him to pay so much. "That's for each letter." Carl made sure to crush him further.

Extortion. That's what this was. "What do you want?"

"Money. What else?" 

"I mean as your assistant" Miller tried to keep himself calm and collected.

Carl gave a satisfied smile. He returned in his seat. Locking his fingers together. "For now I don't need anything," he said. "You can just go and clean out your cubicle. Move your things up here."

For a battle that was suppose to be in the hands of Miller. He foolishly allowed the enemy to score a point.

Upon reaching the fourth floor. Miller furiously flung his items in the box provided. He cursed under his breath saying all the awful things he wanted to say to Carl. Eric rushed over to a angry Miller. He'd been seeing that side of him a lot these days.

"Did he fire you?" Was the first thing he asked.

"No!" Miller almost shouted. "That bastard!" He gritted his teeth from anger. "He thinks just because he's rich he can do anything."

"What are you talking about?" Eric was confused. "Which bastard?"

"For idiots sake Eric. The guy who took Paris away from me. He owns this place"

Eric's mind exploded. Such an unforeseen phenomenon had his mind in smoke. "No shit," was all he could say. "If he didn't fire you. Why are you packing up. Are you quitting?"

Miller just wanted Eric to shut up with all these questions. "He made me his assistant because I keyed his car."

"You keyed his car!?" Eric yelled gaining a few looks. 

As Eric shoved the last item in his box. He swore to score a point tomorrow. 

The game had begun.

+++

Feel free to vote or comment. Sorry for any mistakes :)

EDITED