Part 16.

Miller groaned as his alarm went off. Stretching a lazy arm to his bedside table he shut the annoying thing off. Snuggling back in the comfort of his bed, thinking of getting only a mere five more minutes of sleep.

The thought hit him as his tired eyes gave out. He had a reason for getting up earlier than usual. The comfort of his bed was tempting but his goal of today was more important. Crawling across the large bed, he stopped a few times to rest. No matter how many times he wakes up early he just couldn't get use to it.

Miller sluggishly planted his feet in his house slippers. Yawning loudly and rubbing the sleep from his eyes as he walked over to medium size window to the right. Drawing the curtains, the rays of the morning sun caused Miller to squint his eyes and block most of the light with his arm. 

The view was great and Miller would enjoy it if he was under different circumstances. A little more sleep and he could gawk at the rising sun. A small garden was situated just in view below Miller's window.

It had lost most of his flowers, overgrown with weeds and vine. Miller sighed, such a garden when attended to could add to the magnificent view. What did he expect from Carl, the man sits around and orders people. A garden is the least of his worries.

Stretching his limbs, it was time to get down with business. The house was quiet as usual. With two persons living in such a huge house it was bound to be quiet, except when Carl threw childish tantrums that leads to bickering between him and Miller. 

Miller didn't think about it the first time he arrived but it surprised him how there were no other butlers or maids. Miller could understand if the reason was such. He had first hand experience with Carl to know what he's like, not very boss worthy. If only his employees knew what he was like. 

Miller entered the kitchen, flicking on the lights to prepare his breakfast. There was little in the fridge and cupboards. He would have to visit the grocery store soon. This time buying for himself rather than the stupid CEO. 

Miller ended up settling for cereal. Having to be discrete as much as possible, this was just the right breakfast. Carl wouldn't hear the pouring of milk and cereal or the crunching every time Miller takes a spoon fill. Finishing up Miller got up from around the island, only to hit his toe on the nearby stool, sending the bowl and spoon flying.

The sound echoed through the room if not the whole house. Cursing under his breath about his own clumsiness, Miller took up the bowl and spoon, glancing at the entrance awaiting Carl to come storming down the stairs and annoy his ears off. Luckily he didn't, the noise wasn't enough to wake the sleeping man upstairs.

Washing the bowl, spoon and glass that he poured himself some Apple juice in since they were out of orange juice. The kitchen was just as when he came in, no evidence was left behind. Going back up the stairs, Miller got ready for a day at the office. His usual black and white suit was fitting as always, hair in its usual style, It was just your average Miller.

The last thing left for him to do was grab his car keys and head for the front door. The problem was he couldn't find his car keys, they could be anywhere. Miller hasn't driven his own car since he angrily pulled up in Carl's driveway that day. The poor thing was sitting there accumulating dust. He was about to turn his room upside down --if not the whole house-- when he found the damn thing under the bed.

Miller has to crawl to the far top just to grab it. His suit only suffered a small amount of damage. Now ready Miller headed out the doors. His car parked in an odd position waited to be used by its master again. Hopping in the drivers seat, Miller drove out the gates of the place he supposed he should call home.

It didn't take long before Miller arrived at Edwin's Enterprise. Thirty minutes earlier than usual. He cheerfully greeted the receptionist before he entered the elevator. She was surprised that the CEO wasn't with him this morning. She kept her mouth shut as she greeted Miller. "Good Morning Mr. Hemming"

Miller, for some odd reason was in a better mood. Was it possibly due to having apple juice instead of his usual orange, Who knows. The elevator stopped on the sixth floor. Only a few employees had arrived, sipping their cup of coffee as they awaited the day to come. Strolling pass Carl's office and further down the halls of the sixth floor. Miller had only watched from afar, he never had a reason to venture into the depths of the sixth floor. 

His eyes kept on the lookout for the person in question. The sixth floor was much different from the fourth floor, even the break room was way better. Miller spotted a familiar blond, eating a crustacean and working from her laptop. Ignoring the weird glances, Miller walked over to her.

She lifted her head from the screen of her laptop, surprised to see the CEO assistant before her. Placing the half eaten crustacean down she said. "Is something wrong?" Worry washed her face as she pushed her laptop to the side. Why in blazes would the CEO assistant visit her this early in the morning.

Miller took a seat, smiling fondly at woman. That didn't seem to ease her worry a bit. "I'm pretty sure you know me but I'm saying it anyways, I'm Miller, Miller Hemming"

"Cindy, Cindy Winters" she replied automatically.

"For the record" Miller leaned over the table. "I'm here for my own personal reasons"

Cindy let out a shaky breath of relief. "You surprised me there for a bit" she tried laughing it off. "So what is this personal business of yours?" Cindy raised her brow.

"Since I don't really know anyone on the sixth floor and you're the only person I've ever exchange a few words with, I was hoping you could help me with something"

"If its in my capabilities, I'll help you" Cindy said, relaxing in the chair.

"I'm looking for somewhere to set up my own little office " Miller shrugged. "Is there an empty desk, somewhere an old employee left"

Miller had thought about it, he was working on the sixth floor yet he spent half his time crammed in Eric's cubicle. Having to share the same space as Carl wasn't going to cut it. The man had already denied him entrance in his office. It was time for a change for Miller.

+++

Feel free to vote or comment.