Part 34.

The office felt so unfamiliar. The lobby he walks through every morning, the elevator he takes to sixth floor. Everything felt strange to Carl, even when Miller was beside him the whole way. This would be the last time they get into an elevator together.

Carl pondered about it all night. He knew Miller felt the same way. Yet why couldn't he accept his love. The kiss was magnificent, something Carl wanted to do over and over. Something he loved. As he looked at the dazed Miller he felt his world once again crumbling down.

The doors opened on the sixth floor. The floor where everything began and will end. Carl didn't want that, he wanted Miller to stay. He wanted for them to argue again, for them to continue being in each others presence. This situation was making Carl feel useless, he didn't know how to stop Miller as he packed up his supplies.

"Are you sure about this?" Carl breathed out.

Miller stopped to look at him. That same saddened expression on his face. "I'm sure" his words wasn't convincing at all.

"Stay" Carl said, sitting at his desk watching his every move. "Please"

Miller's voice was shaky anymore from Carl and he might just cave in. "I'm not doing this"

"Then tell me why" Carl pleaded. "Why won't you stay? Is it because of me" he got from around his desk and walked in front Miller. "How I got angry with you, the way I treated you. I didn't mean all of those things Miller" if that was why he was leaving. Carl was willing to apologize right now if it would let him stay.

"That's not it" Miller looked away from him. "I was equally as hostile as you"

Carl held Miller's hands. "I was only testing you at first" he said, not listening to Miller. "When you keyed my car I thought he was willing to stand against me. Someone was willing to defile me. When I called you to my office and you didn't back down I liked that. It distracted me from my moms death anniversary coming up." He ran his hand through his hair, his emotions getting the better of him.

"It was fun. Then I realized that no matter if I was bad or good you still looked at me. You understood me and before I knew it I was in love you maybe even from the beginning" Carl looked into Miller's eyes. His emotions tempting him to kiss him. "I'm sorry Miller"

Miller held one of his hands in his, the other rested on his cheek. "Carl" just calling his name was able to ease Carl's worries. Sooth him and make him feel a sense of well being. "Do you know why I acted that way towards you?" Carl shook his head. Miller was sure if he was under different circumstances he might just act the same way he did. "I was angry at you. You took away the one person I loved with all my heart"

Miller thought it was time. They were being honest. Miller knew Carl's reason. He needed a distraction. He had full hands on what would happen if he thought about his mother during that. How emotional he gets, lost and blames himself more and more. Their little squabbles made him feel at ease. Miller understood, he also understood that for once no one wanted to see the goody too shoe CEO. Putting on a act just for show, concealing a part of you. In the presence of Miller he was able to show him every inch of him.

What about Miller? He did all this for the sake of revenge. Over one girl when there was plenty more fishes in the sea. He pushed Carl to the edge with the one thing that hurt him the most. Miller still felt bad about it. But what he did was nothing compared to being used as a means of distraction by Carl. In the end he was able to solve the problem he created but he still felt responsible, a huge weight on his shoulders.

Falling for Carl wasn't something he planned. No one plans to fall in love, especially not with the enemy. Carl was just the man who got the girl Miller wanted, the man who had way better points than Miller. He was jealous of Carl.

"I did all of that to get you and Paris to break up. Ruined your relationship so you won't get married" Saying it out loud made Miller feel truly despicable. "Just like you ruined mine that day. The day I was suppose to propose when she told me she was going to marry you. It ruined me"

"Miller I don't care about that" Carl kissed Miller's forehead. "I just want to know if you'll stay with me or not"

Miller knew what he wanted but he could have it. "We're both awful people Carl" Miller took the opportunity to hug Carl. Feeling his embrace for the last time, his large hands that fill him with warmth. The feeling of comfort and protection. He'll miss it all.

"You're about to get married and I'm moving on with my life. There's nothing left" it might be painful but it was worth the while being with him.

"I can call of the wedding if that's what you want" Carl tightened his grip on Miller. Burying his head in the crook of Miller's neck. Miller felt his soft lips against his neck. Leaving traces of kisses and his love. It was so wrong yet Miller couldn't bring himself to stop him.

"Don't do that" Miller said, feeling the heat from Carl travelling through his body. "Don't make a hasty decision because of me. Think about it" in the end Paris still stood between them.

Miller released himself from Carl. Looking at the sorrowful man. He hated seeing him like that knowing that he was the cause made his heart feel heavy. Miller ran a hand over his face.

It was funny, it was all funny. The man he swore to destroy became the man he wanted to love with all his might. Taking up the small box, Miller gave Carl the most assuring smile he could.

"Goodbye Carl"

+

Carl sat in his office for a full thirty minutes before barging out. He should've chased after Miller but he knew he wouldn't like that. It would only make things more complicated between them.

All he knew was that he needed Miller. And if he didn't do something he would lose someone dear to him. There was someone who could help. Someone who would do anything for Miller it made Carl jealous.

The elevator door opened on the fourth floor. Everyone straightened themselves, wiping away obvious drools and picking up a file to make due with work. Carl didn't care, he just wanted the man he loved back in his life. In the far end of the office sat the black haired boy. Locking eyes with the CEO he bolted from his desk, a look of panic on his face.

He took up his phone then looked back at Carl. He watched as Eric looked as if he was about to run. Carl increased his speed, catching Eric before he could run for it. "I need you in my office"

It didn't take long before they were in Carl's office. Eric shifted uncomfortable in his seat. He didn't want to be here. He knew nothing good happened when Carl and Miller was involved.

"Eric" Carl said, making him flinch in his seat. "You're good friends with Miller right?"

"Yes" Eric replied immediately.

"I need you to help me with something"

The last time Eric heard those words nothing good followed after. "I don't want to get involved" Eric said. He never thought he would deny a request by the CEO.

"I'm not forcing you" Carl replied, going behind his desk, opening one of the drawers and taking out four envelopes. "But I can't lose Miller"

Carl handed the envelopes to Eric. Eric thought about it. If he helped Carl he wouldn't have to suffer through Miller's heartbreak. Last time wasn't so fun. He looked at the envelopes seeing it was the four invitations Miller had requested earlier.

"What am I suppose to do with these?" Eric was sure Miller wasn't going to attended the wedding. If his best friend wasn't going the he won't either.

"Get him to come to the wedding"

+++

Feel free to vote or comment