Part 17.

The desk was fitting, dusty and filled with cobwebs but would do the job just right. Cindy stood to his side, eyeing him waiting for an answer. The desk was sitting in the storage room, unattended. Miller tested its sturdiness, getting his hands dirty in the process.

"Is this the only one?" he asked, dusting his hands off.

Cindy tossed her blond hair over her shoulders. Shifting her weight from one leg to the next. She was much shorter than Miller, finely dressed in a black skirt and a white top with black polka dots. Miller noticed how she would switch from comfortable around him to uncomfortable in mere seconds.

"That's the only one"

Miller looked at the desk and chair. Looking at Cindy with concerned eyes. "Am I making you uncomfortable"

Cindy waved her hands dismissively, giving Miller the most assuring smile she could muster up. "You're not making me uncomfortable at all" she looked around the room, looking somewhere other than Miller. "I'm just making a big deal about nothing"

Miller knitted his brows. "Does it have anything to do with Mr. Edwin" Miller said the last as if it was something bitter in his mouth. Never once had he called Carl, Mr. Edwin. Made him sound as if he had finally accepted him as his boss. "Or with me personally"

If Miller was the source of her discomfort then he would leave and ask someone else for help. He had no intention of making her feel uncomfortable in his presence. "No it's not, just...."she paused, selecting her words wisely. "Someone else-- something else"

The sudden development made Miller curious. Bracing himself on a storage closet. Miller crossed his arms and said "Care to enlighten me"

Cindy looked around yet again. Opening and closing her mouth, deciding if it was the right idea to tell Miller. "I shouldn't"

Miller uncrossed his arms. "I won't tell a soul. Just me and you here, no one else. If your concerned about Ca--" Miller stopped himself before calling her boss formally. "I mean Mr. Edwin" he could never get use to calling him that.

"The last assistant he had things went badly" Cindy said, almost in a whisper.

"What happened?" Miller could imagine how Carl pushed the poor person to the edge.

Cindy sighed, steadying herself for the release of previous sixth floor drama. "She left about two years ago" Miller was surprised how far the story went back. "Everyone knew her and in many ways than one" Miller knew exactly where Cindy was getting at. Not saying anything he let her continued.
"It was evident to the whole floor that she had a thing for Mr. Edwin, heck she made it obvious to the whole floor" Cindy settled herself, getting comfortable with telling the tale. "No one knew if the CEO was interested or not but she went for the gold anyways." Miller couldn't imagine someone chasing after the stupid CEO, she must've been quite the girl. "The thing was" Cindy pointed a finger at Miller. "She wasn't just interested in the CEO"

There it was, there was no way anyone would blindly chase Carl. "Mr. Edwin would often come out of his office asking for her. Luckily did he know she was hiding off somewhere with one of his employees" Miller ran a hand over his face. The sixth floor was pumping on drama while he was down on the fourth floor with little to no excitement. Miller wasn't one for office drama but a little spark in his day to day life wouldn't hurt anyone now would it?

"When he found out, it was like hell on the sixth floor" Cindy shuddered at the memory. "It was the angriest we've seen him. Fired her right on the spot. A week later she came back claiming Carl was the father of her unborn child and demanding money" Cindy rolled her eyes. "Which was stupid because they didn't have sex in the first place" Miller didn't question how she knew that but continued to listen. "Hell found its way back on the sixth floor"

Miller adjusted his tie, understanding everything now. "So me and you being in here alone might spark some uncanny rumors" he's heard the rumors as to why he didn't have any assistant in an awfully long time. From his aggressiveness to his self-centered behaviour. The truth was entirely different.

Before Cindy could utter a word, noise outside the door caught their attention. Miller looked at Cindy as if she held all the answers. Unlocking the doors of the storage room, Miller saw Carl furiously opening his office door. Miller chuckled to himself. Carl actually arrived earlier than he anticipated.

Carl turned to see Miller, staring in his eyes that stared fondly at his distress. Barging into his own office he barge right out in seconds. "You" he pointed at Miller, steam emitting from his ears.

"Me?" Miller said innocently. "Do you need something Mr. Edwin" a mischievous smile on his lips.

"This morning..." Carl stopped, looking around to see numerous employees looking his way. He would just have to behead Miller later. "What are you doing?" He looked at Cindy.

"What does it look like" Miller turned to a flustered Cindy. "Getting assistance from Ms. Winters here" Cindy gave a nervous smile. "What are you doing?"

"My office, now!" Carl ordered, walking away from Miller.

"No" Miller crossed his arms. "Not right now at least"

Carl turned on his heels, annoyed by the smug on Miller's face. "Miller--"

Miller cut him off with a wave of dismissal. "I forgot" he looked at his watch. "You arrived ten minutes earlier than I anticipated"

Carl gritted his teeth from anger. Today was going to be awfully long.

+++

Feel free to vote or comment. Does anyone remembers when Carl said that to Miller:"you arrived ten minutes earlier than I anticipated". No--- No one okay.