Part 23.

The situation has taken a unforseen turn. The solid plan Miller had against Carl was no longer full proof. It was like the stupid CEO had miracles working for him, and this was one of those times. Miller pulled up around the fountain. The sound of breaking glass made him hesitate to go inside.

Of all times why must Carl be having his angry tantrums now. Miller got out of his car, remembering Cameron's words.

Keep an eye on him.

It's the least he could do after having him cry. He was still feeling guilty about it. Whatever reason had Carl behaving like that for the past few weeks now piqued Miller's interest. It wasn't only Cameron but someone else-- something else.

Opening the doors Miller heard glass breaking and Carl cursing. Leaving him for less than two hours and he's done that much damage. What caught his attention was a photo on the ground. One more step and he would've stepped on it.  

The photo consisted of two persons: a young boy and what seems to be his mother. Miller recognized that smile and brown eyes. It was Carl, such innocence when he was younger now he was like a prick in Miller's side.

"Is this is mother?" Miller asked himself.

In that moment a glass came flying in Miller's direction. Moving quick on his feet he manage to dodge it. Stumbling backwards and losing grip on the photo. The glass shattered and a splinter flew and cut Miller on his cheek. Such bad luck. Gently putting a finger on it, smudging it with blood. Miller turned to the direction it flew from.

Carl came stumbling out, his distress present on his face and hands bleeding. "What the hell!" Miller gaped at the sight.

Carl saw Miller, walking up to him. The next moved he made had Miller frozen in place. Carl had cupped his cheeks. His bloody hands soiling his face. "Your cheek" he said in calm and sincere tone. The first Miller had heard him like that. "I'm sorry" Miller was about to retort when he noticed how sincere he was actually being.

Even if he tried to say anything the words couldn't leave his mouth. The warmth from his larger hands and the familiar citrus scent he had. For just a second, Miller forgot he hated Carl as he stared in his stormy brown eyes. "What happened?" Miller pulled away Carl's hand.

His hands were cut in many different places. Carl looked down on his hands as if he hadn't realized it was cut. "I was getting some orange juice after you left but the glass slipped and fell. Then I went upstairs to treat it then I saw that damn photo" Miller thought it must be the photo he saw earlier. "One thing led to another --" Carl stopped explaining.

Miller sighed, he might have dug deeper than expected. Just this once he'll forget how much he hates him and be nice. Only because he was doing Cameron a favor. It was hard to believe that this was the man who bossed him around and argued with him nonstop. Overthrown by so much emotions to the point he's concerned about Miller.

"Let's go upstairs" Miller said. Carl complied and followed Miller to his bed room.

The usual clothes tossed about the place, unmade bed and a bottle that never missed Miller's eyes. Carl went to his bed while Miller played hopscotch to the bathroom. He wiped the blood from Carl's hand then disinfected the wound. Wrapping both hands to the best of his abilities. At this rate Miller would have to start learning a few medical treatments of his own.

"Thanks" Carl said. This was the second time Miller had gotten a thanks from him.

Miller smiled appreciating how sincere Carl was today. "Just stop throwing glasses okay"

"About your cheek" Carl looked up at Miller. "I'm sorry"

"If you keep saying that I'll get weird out" Miller sat at the other end of his bed. It was the first he got the opportunity to fully take in the CEO room. He didn't have much, maybe because it was all at his other house. Paris hasn't been around for a while. Miller knew when she does come around he'll have to be prepared. 

"Take it while you can" Carl chuckled. Silence took over the room. Carl laid himself on his bed. Turning to face Miller's back. "Just so you know I'm not crazy" Carl thought it was best to clear that up.

"I'm not sure about that" Miller replied, his behaviour proves otherwise. Yet again that was just the influence of whatever had him in such an emotional turmoil.

Miller felt the dip of the bed behind him. Familiar large hands on his shoulders. For some reason his heart rate increased, just like when he held his cheeks just moments ago. Miller wanted to ignore it, whenever he bypassed his hatred for Carl and he acted differently towards Miller. He felt entirely different, shaken up by Carl but not in his usual bad way. A good way.

"Just bare with me for awhile longer" it sounding as if he was begging for Miller to do so.

"Okay" he wasn't doing it for Carl or how the sudden feeling of him relying on him felt new and Miller might just like that feeling. He was doing it because of Cameron, his half brother and the fact that he asked to him to keep an eye on Carl. 

Carl gave a small squeeze on Miller's shoulder. "You'll hurt your hands at that rate" Miller got up and faced Carl. He was looking better, the storm had passed in his eyes but it wasn't gone forever.

Miller looked away, the familiar feeling rising in his chest. "You go over there" Miller ordered. "I'm going to clean this place up"

"He finally listens" for once Miller didn't hear his usual angry filled retorts. Instead he heard a hint of humor.

"Just do as you're told"

This is all for Cameron. By tomorrow we'll be back to our old ways, bickering and at each others throat. Tomorrow these unsettling feelings would be gone and I'll be hating him again

+++

Feel free to vote or comment.