Chapter Two

The Idiocy Of A Genius

Virgil sighed. He was suddenly doubting himself again, he didn't want to do this. Yet, he wanted to know what Logan felt. If he even felt anything...

Letting out an annoyed grunt, he fixed his sweatshirt yet again and stalked into the living room where Logan resided. Since each other's rooms effected the other sides so drastically, nowadays, they didn't spend much time in their separate rooms within Thomas' brain, but instead, Roman created a whole new house with a bunch of different rooms with different activities so they could hang out and not go insane.

Logan didn't look up as Virgil took a seat on the coach, but instead just continued to type away on his laptop. Honestly, Virgil didn't really mind, he could stare at Logan all day, which was odd since they all basically had the same appearance, but it was how Logan concentrated; he peered through his glasses, rarely blinking, and his eyes darted quickly across the screen, reading and rereading whatever he was working on. Whenever he had to stop and think, his eyes would close and his fingers wound drum against the keyboard before his thought process would catch up, he'd take a sip of coffee, and then get back to work. It was pretty hot, in Virgil's humble opinion.

So there they sat in silence and Virgil repeatedly opened his mouth before shutting it back shut, changing his mind and then changing it again.

Logan suddenly sighed. "Virgil, if you have something to say, please say it."

Jumping slightly, frightened at the sudden voice, the other quickly looked away. "What are you talking about?"

"Your posture is stiff, your pupils are concentrated, you are constantly adjusting your sweatshirt, and this is the eighth time you closed your mouth after opening it as if to say something. Please, feel obligated to speak, I am not here to stop you."

Virgil shifted awkwardly. "Well, er, I came to talk to you about something."

"Clearly. I am the only other one in this room."

Anxiety took a deep breath and slowly let it out. It's fine, you can do this. It'll be alright. It's fine. Just remember what Patton told you.

"What do you think of the tree, eh?" Fuck! You stupid moron! What kind of question is that?

Logan looked confused, he was definitely not expecting that. Constantly opening and closing his mouth like a goldfish to ask about the small Christmas tree that sat beside the television? "It is... a tree. A decorated, plastic and artificial tree."

"Yeah, a Christmas tree."

Logan blinked. "Indeed. Is there anything wrong, Virgil? Are you feeling alright? I can make you a cup of tea or get you your headphones, I know those help you when you're feeling uneasy or uncomfortable."

"No! Don't go, I'm fine!" He looked down and breathed again. "It's just that, I was wondering, what you were thinking."

Logan adjusted his glasses. "I am currently researching the French enlightenment writer, historian, and philosophy, Voltaire, and how he attacked the Catholic Church, and basically the whole religion of Christianity in general, with his advocacy for freedom of religion, speech, and-"

"Yeah, that's great, dude, but I wasn't talking about that," Virgil said, cutting him off. He was nervous, and talking about something he neither knew nor cared about would not help him.

"What were you talking about? You asked what I was thinking, I'm thinking about how the Essay on the Customs and the Spirits of the Nations, or Essai sur les Mœurs et L'esprit des Nations, as you may say it in French, addresses the fact that Christianity was not essential for a civilized and highly moral society."