Chapter Twenty One

Logan (Holmes), the Consulting Detective

Logan sighed heavily, absolutely exhausted as he awkwardly rubbed Patton's head. He was stressed and worried, but he had to remain strong and reasonable just for Patton who was currently collapsed on his knees, balling his eyes out into Logan's thigh. It reminded the intelligent side of the days when they were four or five and it was just them, Logan and Patton, the one who didn't cry at all and the other who cried too often.

They haven't really changed after all, Logan thought humorlessly. "Shh, come on, Pat. We'll find them soon enough."

"But where could they be?!" cried the Dad. Oh the irony. "We looked everywhere! Why would they leave the house?!"

Logan grimaced slightly at the last statement. He highly doubted Virgil would go outside, he had never did that before, no matter how much he was upset. But he wasn't upset, at least not when Logan saw him, and that was yesterday afternoon at 2:07. Patton had decided to call a meeting to start planning Thomas' new video and Virgil stated he'd go find Roman. He seemed completely normal then. Perhaps he got into a fight with Roman...

Logan sighed, he couldn't think like this. As soon as neither of them showed up after twenty minutes (Virgil said it would only take five), Patton decided to tear down the house to find them. He and Logan split up and searched the whole house, top to bottom. They found nothing and no one, even Dawn was missing. It took the whole evening and now, at 1:30 in the morning, Patton collapsed from exhaustion and worry and just started sobbing.

Logan had never really been the best one when it came to sympathy and comfort, and although he certainly had a good amount of practice with Virgil and his attacks, he was still as awkward and at a loss of what to do when it came to someone crying.

"How about we go downstairs and make some tea," he offered, squatting down to talk to Patton at eye level. "You are obviously tired and stressed, and we won't be able to look for them properly when we are exhausted. So maybe some tea and a nap will help calm you down?"

Patton sniffed, wiping away his tears. Wednesday whimpered slightly at his side, nuzzling into his stomach as if he was attempting to cheer him up. "O-okay," He croaked out.

Logan gently rubbed his arm. "It'll all be alright, we will find them eventually. Roman probably just did something idiotic again such as preforming an accidental illusionary trick which went wrong or something." He then paused, staring at the ground. "Virgil's smart too... he won't let anything bad happen to either of them... his nerves wouldn't allow it..."

God, he was worried. He always was able to find Virgil, even if it meant searching the entire household, but he was always in said household. Honestly, he was scared to leave without anyone by his side, but why would Roman want to leave? Judging by his serious tone of voice and stiff expression whenever he spoke of the rest of the mind palace, Roman never had any intention to leave their house, he couldn't control anything outside of their realm.

Thesis: Both Virgil and Roman were still in this house.

Evidence: Previous and outside knowledge, but no observations.

Data: ???????

He needed data, facts. He needed to create a conclusion. He needed to deduce where else they could be, but sitting in the middle of a hallway was no place to think.

Patton had finally resolved to just sniveling and occasional eye rubbing, but no more tears were shed. Thank god, that's one less stressful factor on Logan's plate.

The two sunk down and appeared back in the kitchen and Patton immediately collapsed into a chair and put his head down on the table. Logan put the kettle on before retreating to the living room. Patton watched with tired eyes as Logan came back with his notebook. Wednesday setting down at his feet.