Chapter 30: Science of Love

Author's note: Third POV ahead :D

Thia Ferrer is known to be a smart ass all her life, some might label her a know-it-all. The one thing that she clearly knows off, and her Archilles heel? Is the fact that, when it comes to expressing and identifying emotions? She would be a novice, she would definitely get a F-, Flat 5.

She knows she wanted to be a doctor for the reason that she wanted to know if the heart is truly involved in decision making, in life and love that she heard off. It was a thing that Thia believed when she was young. Now, being a doctor and saying such outrageous things could cause her licensed to perish. Thia enjoys telling so and believe that that would be her quest as she studies medicine.

All throughout her studies for the love of science, Thia found out the reason behind it all. Truly, too much complexities and rational as she ought to have expected. But when it comes to real deal, reality of life? She'll definitely forgot it all.

" Questions?" Dr. Thia Isabelle Ferrer asked as she faced a class first year medicine students. She remembered she was like them too, years ago. The façade was like an intelligent student, but deeply clueless, definitely still eager to learn. "Yes." A lady stand up and smile. Dr. Thia gave her an encouraging smile.

"Rationality and books aside Dr. Thia." Thia was quite taken aback as the young lady started. She didn't dare to reprimand the young one. This might be interesting, she thought to herself. "Does the or the brain involve in love?"

The class reacted simultaneously, some giggled, some snickered but curiosity is common. She hushed down the class. " Irrationally, some would say it's the heart don't you think? Media construction lead us to believe that."

She smiled at the class who obviously want to know more about such matter. Mayhap because of this month? February. No one dared to react, so she continued. " Rationality and books, involved. We ought to need it ladies and gentlemen and everything in between." The class once again reacted meekly.

"The science of love, often associated with love is the heart but the brain does it. You see? The brain of an 'inlove' – can be similar to the effects of cocaine, it becomes to fantasize which make you happy and good, and less bothered by things." She inhaled deeply. Why did I even dared to ask them to question me? "Of course, there are chemicals involved, dopamine and norepinephrine (in VTA- ventral tegmental area) that results to an arousal in your heart rate. Gives you the motivation, the craving and desire to be with the person more and more. Then, there's oxytocin – a. k. a. the commitment neuromodulator that helps impose the " realational attachment"

Thia could get a glimpse of students who took notes of what she just elucidated. That'd be pretty useless when you use it in the real deal situations, she thought. Another student stand up, a young four eyed lad. " Does our brain even have emotions?" Good question.

"Yes. Affection or hate comes from the amygdaloid nucleus in the brain's limbic system. Brains have emotions."

"Doc, what about the term about 'love sick'?" The young lad seconded, which caused Thia a chuckle. "What is up with your questions guys? Anyway, okay." She took another deep breathes and look at her students. "Love sick? I call it the love stricken insanity, a proof of brain cell stimulation. The lack of insanity in love is considered abnormal you see."

The bell erupted, signaling that another class ended. Thank God, Thia prayed. " Better check your partners." Thia pointed out with a giggle to the remaining students.

As the hospital's conference emptied out, Thia gathered her belongings. "Doctor Ferrer. Please go to the E.R immediately." The intercom announced twice. Thia immediately rushed out of the room leaving her belongings and headed out to the E.R. Another peculiar event, she was seldom assigned in the E.R as an on call doctor nor is she on the stand by in that department.

This couldn't be one of my family member? Or is this Cyl? It must be Cyl this time, for months he's been on checkups and on the look out for possible heart problems. Not really relationship problems but, real deal heart problems. He was scared, for the reason that the have a hereditary heart diseases. A little pain in the chest area, he would go berserk and conclude he has it. All this time he is under my observation, together with the help of my senior advisors and he was cleared. But he still ought to be cautious on the food he eats. Ain't he lucky man that I am around? Free of charge pa!

Thia was caught up with Ken, who recently got back from his vacation leave. She caught up with her breathe and calm herself. Everything is pretty normal around here, no emerging patients at the moment. Ken pointed out the closed teal curtain. "Last bed to the right." Without much question Thia got her stethoscope as she whisk the curtain away.

A 20 dozens of red roses held in front of Thia's face. A man in clad in black dandy casual attire, casually seated in the hospital bead. Thia could feel all the butterflies in her stomach came alive, but she decided to control herself. She swatted away the roses from her face, she could see Lorenzo Cyl Ramos paled upon her sudden action.

" You could've given me a heart attack." She hissed full aware of the fact that a bunch of expatiators gathered. " You did give me one too, when you swatted this!" He rose up to this feet and meekly smiled at the E.R staff, he pulled the curtain for privacy.

"Of all the people babe, you ought to know that you shouldn't do such in the emergency room. E.R! Are you insane?" Thia looked like a mom, lecturing her children. She didn't care though.

Cyl gaped at his girlfriend's outburst. He has been doing this for random basis you see? Cyl have always known Thia's infamous lines, and he loved every second of it. He remembered the first time he did this, Thia was all kilig, chummy and smiles but as he does this randomly when he feels like it, he grew fond of his girlfriends freshly annoyed face. Although Cyl pretends, to listen to his girlfriend he can't help but swell with euphoria for he had succeeded again. That annoyed face! Just love every bit of it. "I'm totally insane for you."

Thia was left utterly speechless, another crazy and random antics had transpired from her boyfriend that made her wobbly and weak. She brushed off all thoughts for she was not having it, she's in her workplace for crying out loud. " Ramos! You could have me jobless. Passionless! Careerless!" Thia growled quietly, emphasizing every word.

"I could hire you for myself, as my personal doctor." Oh my God! This will not end. Thia thought. " Not only I could provide you money, but as well as love, care, affection, appreciation, trust, my body and my soul. Total package you see?" Cyl winked at her.

Thia couldn't help but guffaw at his comeback. " I love you." She caught Cyl's flushed face, right there and then. She knew Cyl got his 'vitamins' as what he termed it. "I love you, Thia." Cyl gave her a peck on her lips.

"Now bugger off! Work you, lazy arse!"

"Yes, milady!"