Chapter 25: Still

twenty five! Trip ko! Wag kayong ano! Badtrip ako kay watty! Peste

CHAPTER 25 Flashback

Weekend. I was invited by CC at their home. Unfortunately, I got caught up in a code blue emergency, so I texted her that I’ll be coming late and should start without me. CC, hasn’t told her husband about her pregnancy for their first born and tonight is the big reveal.

“He needs a bypass operation?”The middle aged women asked staring at the man lying down in the hospital bed, in vegetative state. I nodded in response as she glances back at me.

“That’s a probability, but we have to be ready for the other probability.” Tears started streaming from her eyes. I was too straightforward, and I’m so used to this reaction.

The middle aged woman reached the hand of the man lying down, as she cries. “Doc, it’s too early. I can’t lose him.” Her voice was rather hoarse. What am I am supposed to do? I could consider the operation, but its too risky considering at his condition now. If I would take this risky leap, the life of the patient is at stake here. We might lose him, during the procedure. I can’t let that happen.

“Did you hear me?!” I nodded. I, for one don’t know what to say. “Sumagot ka! I can’t lose him. Do your job! Damn it!” She shouted at me, her sons were holding her against me. She was going to slap me!

Calm your nerves Thia. “I did what I could. The patient is not responding. I just gave you the probabilities. I am closely working with the senior doctors about your husband’s case. I’ll let you know the opts. Excuse me, I have to go.”

I close the door of the room, as I deeply inhale and exhale. Thankfully, I didn’t crack. Kinalma ko ulit ang sarili ko by taking deep inhale and exhale as I continue to walk. I understand her but not completely, I never experience being in that situation. She might loose her husband and this could break her. I tried to put myself, in her shoes. The feeling is awfully unexplainable.

As a doctor, I’m might be always blinded with that all forsaken emotions from the patient’s family side. Parang wala lang, neutral, normal lang ito sa akin. It’s like I’ve been druged by morphine a thousand times. Thus, making me fully immuned by those common reaction and people might get the wrong idea that I’m heartless.

I went to my office to get my things, then logged out of the hospital. It’s already 8:35PM, the dinner should be at 7PM. I parked my car and immediately got out. Sinalubong ako ng kasambahay nila Cecile, she led me to the backyard. Wala na ang ibang bisita, I saw Cecile with Ian, hugging each other, then there’s Ken and Stephanie. Liz’s fiancée and Zen’s fiancée too. I guess, Stephanie is right.  It’s different when perceiving two different individuals, in love. The moment you see these two, parang may invisible ribbon, sparks and whatnots that ties these individuals.

For the first time in my life, I felt envy. Envy that they have them, and I got none. I’m so happy for them, that they finally have what’ve been waiting for. My eyes got blurry; I quickly brushed it off before it falls. “Ma’am? Dumiretso nalang kayo. Kanina pa po kayo hinihintay e.” Tumango ako at simulang maglakad patungo sa kinaroroonan nila.

Smile Thia, smile. “Ang inconsiderate nyo ah.” Napansin naman nila ako at nagtawanan. Nagsitayuan ang mga ito as I greet them one by one. Umupo ako sa nag-iisang bakanteng upuan. Ipinamumuhka talaga ah? “Sorry Thia, I called Enzo, but unfortunately he can’t come.” I said apologetically. Nabigla naman ako sa sinabi niya, I mean. I haven’t seen too, busy maybe.

“No worries. By the way, congrats Ian.” He thanked me and kissed Cecile on her lips.

“Did you eat na?” Cecile, still flustered and blushing.