Chapter 2: The Kanima - 5

Venomous

Holland's POV

"Let me get this straight..." I sighed. "You where at the school last night to find the bestiary and Derek attacked you?" I asked Stiles. "No! You're not listening! Derek had some interesting techniques of persuasion and I told him what I saw and it was behind him and we got stuck in the pool for a while because the kanima is scared of water-" Stiles starts.
"Kanima?" I interrupt confused. "It's the name of the lizard thing." Stiles answers me. "How do you know that?" I ask. "I'm getting to that." He snaps and I shut up. "As I was saying... so it's scared of water but when Scott showed up they were fighting and they broke shards of glass and when the kanima looked at his reflection. It just left. As for how we know what it's called, Derek told us but he said he didn't know until he saw it was afraid of it's reflection." Stiles finished. "...wow." I breath out. "I know..." Stiles sighed. "Wait... you said it had venom?" I ask. "Yes...what does venom have to do with any of this?" Stiles asked me. "I need some of that venom." I demanded him. "Uh...why?" He asked me. "It's nearly impossible to get blood off of this kanima but it's pretty easy to get venom off it. I'm going to use a locator spell to track it down." I explained. "You can do that?" He asked me. "Yes" I said. "I think." I continued. Stiles shot me an annoyed look. "So where can I get this venom?"  I ask. "Maybe there is some at the pool in the school." Stiles said. "Perfect! I'll be right back!" I tell him. "Holl-wait-" Stiles calls after me. "Got no time to talk! I've got a Kanima to find!" I say in I childish voice.

As I get in my car, I receive a text. It's Derek.

D: Hey, I need help with something.
Me: I'm busy.
D: It's important.
Me: On my way.

I sigh. What could possibly be more important than finding the kanima. I should've just told him to bugger off.

As I arrive at Derek's home I sense they are downstairs so I walk to the basement. "You know, Jackson, you've always been kind of a snake. And everyone knows a snake can't be poisoned with its own venom." Derek said. "What's so important that I need to be here a-" I stop when I notice Jackson. "Why is Jackson here?" I ask confused. "Jackson is a potential kanima." Derek said a he pours a vile down Jackson throat. Jackson then started spasming. "You're still a snake, Jackson. Just not the one we're looking for." Derek said. "What the fuck is this?!" I shout at Derek. "It's the only way to find out if he's a kanima." Derek said. "Well I have a plan of my own to find out who the kanima is." I confidently told him. "Which is?" He asks me. "Psychological locating spell." I told him. "I need some of that venom." I Said. He then gives me the shard of glass and I put it on a piece of paper. I started the spell but then a strong gust of wind knocked us over. I hum. "Interesting..." I question. "What did it work?" Isaac asked me. " No...it's like the person doesn't exist..." I tell them. I sigh. "I better leave. That took a lot out of me. Bye."

"So what are you saying? The kanima is not a person?" Scott asks me after I finish explaining what happened. "I-I don't know..." I said. "Or that could not be the case." Stiles said. "What do you mean?" Me and Scott ask in sync. "Come on. When is the kanima not the kanima?" Stiles asked us. "When it's human." Scott said. "That makes perfect sense! That explains why my spell didn't work!" I exclaimed. "But that probably means the host of the kanima probably doesn't know about being a kanima. Which also makes it 10x harder to find." Scott said. "and the kanima only comes out at night. When the host is probably sleeping." I thought aloud. "Probably." Stiles confirmed. "And it's getting late now." Scott stated.

Funny that night the kanima didn't come out to play.

Next day at school.
Outfit: