▪ Prologue ▪

s i m p l i c i t y 

m a k e s  m e 

h a p p y

: ▪ : ▪ : ▪ :

Bas hurried his steps, following Cop's slim figure.

They walked into the supermarket to get some candy for the movie night, like they were used to doing. It was pretty late, but the place didn't close until 11 p.m, or so Bas thought. Copter put his arms around himself, in an attempt to hide away from the wind.

"C'mon, let's hurry so we don't catch a cold or something" Bas said, placing his hand on Cop's back and urging him inside.

"You sound like my mum. Chill".

"Oh, shut it. I'm sorry for caring. Next time I'll let you freeze to death" Bas joked, smirking at him. "But, seriously, hurry up. I've been waiting to see this film for ages. I mean, have you seen Dane DeHaan's eyes?".

Cop barked a laugh "I know, right?".

There weren't many people around, which was greatly convenient since Bas couldn't stand having to swirl around them or having to dodge them just so he could grab some candy. Besides, just the thought of someone getting upset at him for having bumped against them made his skin crawl with fear. Countless of times it had happened to him, when he had had the misfortune of running into unpleasant people, and that mixed with the fact that he was the clumsiest person he had ever encountered was definitely bound to end in disaster. So, all in all, it was safer to stay away from the crowds.

They were walking down an aisle, and Bas slowed down his pace as his gaze landed upon the shleves. There were a lot of different cholocate brands, which Bas believed it was weird. Why there had to be so many kinds of the same thing? Bas understood it had to do with prices competition or whatever, but it was bullshit. Just in this little piece of shelf he was looking at four completely different brands. Truly unnecessary, if someone may have asked him. Not that someone would have asked him, but still.

"Bas, c'mon! Hurry up. I thought you were desperate to watch the film" Cop shouted from the end of the aisle.

"Coming!".

He went after him, a man strolling past him with a shopping cart full of groceries.

Who buys their groceries at this hour? Must be a really desorginazed man if he just remembered he had to do the groceries.

He kept walking and spotted Cop's brown hair a few steps ahead of him. Bas loved his hair. It looked soft, and it actually was; to the touch, Bas would have compared it to velvet, as strange or over the top that might have sounded. It was lengthy, and straight, and the brown color matched his eyes to perfection. Copter was beautiful, one of the most beautiful people Bas had ever met, and he felt lucky to have him as his friend. Or better yet, his best friend.

Wow! I get distracted so easily.

Bas snapped out of his thoughts, and made sure to follow him, staying close behind and making an effort in not getting distracted once again. Nearly impossible, he was aware. After all, Bas managed to get distracted even in the middle of another distraction. He couldn't count how many times he had been talking with someone, only to realise a few minuted into the conversation that he had not listened to what they had been saying at all.

He could make an effort, though.

They finally arrived to the candy section, which, weirdly, wasn't with the chocolate bars. They grabbed a few things they thought they might need, and went to pay quickly because the place was already closing. Bas saw a few of the staff cleaning the floors and closing some doors that were not going to be used anymore.

He accidentaly made eye contact with the guy restocking the shelves, but quickly looked away. Eye contact is so awkward.

"Alright, mate, we've got everything. Now let's go before I freeze my ass off" Cop said, tugging on Bas' violet jacket to catch his attention since, unlike what he had promised himself minutes ago, he was so very much distracted again.

Who would have believed that?

At the motion, he looked down, his eyes falling onto his sleeve. Bas really liked this jacket. It was a bit baggy for him, making him look way bigger than he actually was, but he still loved it. He believed it went great with his nose piercing. He didn't really get why, but it just did.

He shook his head, coming back to reality, and posed his gaze on Cop's expectant face.

"Yeah, sorry. Let's go home".

And they did, and they watched the film, and Bas got to drool over Dane DeHaan's beauty, and they ate their candy and drank coffee, and snuggled under a fluffy pile of blankets. And Bas was reminded, once again, of how happy he felt at times like this. Calm, and comfortable, and warm, and full. And as he looked over at Cop, he felt lucky. Too lucky, even. And wondered if others got to feel what he felt when he was with him.

He wished most nights were like that one.

: ▪ : ▪ : ▪ :