▪ Chapter Five ▪

be gentle with yourself,
you are doing the best you can.

: ▪ : ▪ : ▪ :

Cop and Bas were enjoying the holidays.

It had been two weeks since Bas' last exam, and they were having a blast. They had done everything that they had wanted to do during the year; they had gone to the cinema, they had gone shopping, they had stayed inside and had done nothing for a whole day.

That was living.

They had also met up with a few friends from their university, and it had been plenty of fun. Bas was still not used to being around so many people, but he had actually had a great time with those guys. His heart hadn't had jumped out of his chest at any point, so that had been a good sign. After that, he started to believe that his anxiety was toning down a bit, and he was very proud about it. Cop was too, he had told him once.

P'God had stopped contacting them, which Bas thought it was better for everyone, even if he still felt guilty for having had talked to them so harshly.

Or at least to Kimmon.

Meaning, he didn't even know the whole story, and yet he had still full on scolded them without any remorse. But, considering that Copter had gotten hurt, and that that had upset Bas inmensly, it had been an understandable reaction at the moment. Bas couldn't allow anyone hurting Cop. Cop was his best friend, his everything, and no one had permission to do him any kind of harm. It was still weird for him, how he could be so shy and scared around people in any type of situation, and yet whenever someone attempted to do something to Cop, every trace of his anxiety left his body for a while, long enough for Bas to defend him.

It felt as if his anxiety had a loophole, in which it dissapeared whenever Cop was facing danger.

And it often made him wonder if, because he was indeed capable of doing stuff anxiety-less, this meant he had been exaggerating all along. Yet he then remembered that he was scared to talk on the phone to order pizza, and so the wonderings went away.

It was raining today, and neither of them felt like going out, so they decided to watch some Netflix, as usual. However, when Cop was taking a shower and Bas had gone to look for some snacks to go with the film, he noticed the lack of food in the appartment.

When had been the last time they had done the groceries? Bas surely didn't remember, yet that wasn't new.

He checked all of the cabinets and drawers for something to eat, but there was nothing tasty. He sighed, closing them. He would have to go buy something, as much as he didn't feel like putting on presentable clothes and going out. There was no way neither of them would survive through the film without nothing to fill their stomachs.

Bas could still hear the shower running, so he stood up and went to put on some decent clothes. Once he was dressed kind of apropriately, he grabbed his wallet and shouted to Cop, while knocking on the bathroom door.

"Copter! Listen! There's no food and we can't survive without food, so I am going to the supermarket to buy something! We'll watch the film when I get back. Don't start without me!".

Bas heard something falling on the floor, and startled.

"Okay! Bring me some ice cream, though!" He responded.

"Sure. Is everything okay?".

"Yeah, I just dropped the shampoo!".

Bas sighed,  his worries dying down.