▪ Chapter Three ▪

sometimes the best thing you can do is not think,
not wonder,
not imagine,
not obsess.

just breathe.

: ▪ : ▪ : ▪ :

A week of unstoppable studying had passed and Bas brain was already melting. But, no, seriously, his head was so extremely hot he thought it was going to explode.

He had seen Cop a lot these days, as usual. They liked studying together. Even if they didn't study the same thing, they still liked being together. And, right now, he was not studying, but he was still keeping Bas company, as the good friend that he was.

It was friday afternoon now, and they were both sitting at their kitchen's table; Bas reading for his exams, and Cop watching some TV. They had plenty provisions -and with that he meant food, a nessecity-, and the temperature was in their favour. It was cold, but not too cold, outside and they had the heating on. So considering the circumstances, it could have been worse.

Baa scratched his nose around his piercing, which had been itchy lately, and he began to worry about it again. He had forgotten about the 'it might be getting infected' issue, but the last two days had been reminding him of it. Whatever. He would deal with it when it came to it.

He blinked, and the words in front of him no longer made any sense. He was so tired. Frowning, he grabbed a muffin and ate it, and he thought that that had calmed him down, because it was very good. It was a chocolate muffing with chocolate chips in it. And it was fluffly and soft and everything you could ever dream of -from a muffin.

"Bas, come back to earth. Stop sallivating over the muffin and go back to study". Cop told him suddenly, interrupting Bas' admiring session of his muffin.

"But, Cop! You don't get it, my brain is doing a short cut right now". He complained, raising his eyebrows at his friend to make his point clearer.

Coptee gave him a look that said 'dude, cut it off. You've been studying for like ten minutes', shook his head and went back to his thing.

Bas sighed. "Fine, I can study for an hour more and then I need a break because I seriously can't take it any longer" he said in a whiny voice, while still picking at his muffin. "We can grab some food outside tonight. What'cha think?".

Cop turned to him, pursing his lips, and hummed.

"I mean, I want to. Of course I do. But are you sure you have the time? I don't want to be the reason that you fail. I'd feel guilty then".

He was kind of right, but Bas also knew that resting was good to clear his head and reorganize his ideas. His dad had told him a tale when he was younger, it was about a young man and an old man. The young man dared the other one to cut down a tree, and they bet about who could do it faster. The young man spent the entire time hacking the log, without stopping a single time and putting every strength he had in it. Meanwhile, the old man alternated between hacking and resting. At the end, the old man managed to cut it faster. The moral of the story was that sometimes one needs a break to let the mind or body rest, and then when you came back to the job, you would have much more energy and your effort would show better. Bas had taken his father's advice to heart, so everytime he felt as if his brain was no longer working, he would make some time to rest and to let his ideas reorganize.

Cop's cellphone beeped and they both looked at it. He picked it up while Bas quietly grabbed another muffin and started taking tiny bites of it. It was still very good, the sweetness was spreading from his tonsils towards the rest of his body, and a happy feeling ran through him.