▪ Chapter Fourteen ▪

don't ever apologise
for needing to do
what is best for you

: ▪ : ▪ : ▪ :

P' stayed for a while more until he had finished his coffee, but then told them he had to leave because he had to help his mum with the house. Cop had not left them alone during that time, instead, he had stayed put in his chair, piping in during the conversation, actually doing most of the talking. He basically kept interrogating P' about his life, about his mum, and his studies, and his job at the supermarket. Yet P', after having recovered from Cop's first attack, had answered everything with confidence, as if he was also trying to display dominance. It was all pretty tense.

After a while, however, Bas had understood Copter's actions. He just wanted to make sure that Bas would be okay if he ever went out with P'. He was studying him. And Bas didn't know how to feel about that. He wanted them both to get along, they were very important to him. And he didn't want to imagine what would happen if they didn't.

What if someday he had to make a choice? Would they force him to make one if they didn't get along? Because Bas had already said this, but at this moment, even though he would feel deeply upset about having to cut P' out of his life, there was no way that he wasn't going to pick Cop. The thought of this was making him anxious though, his heart sinking at the mere idea of having to break bonds with P'. Bas knew that he had just arrived in his life; P' was new, and recent, yet he had already digged a place there. P' was making him feel things that he hadn't felt before. Or things that he had only felt with Copter. When he looked at him, a wave of safety and comfort ran all the way through him and spreaded everywhere.

How had he managed to come into Bas' life this hard and this fast? It had barely given him time to think about this, he was reponding to his every advance automatically and on a rush, but maybe that was good, because then Bas had less time to overthink, while still doing some of the thinking. But what he already knew was that when P' was around, he felt good, and he thought that was all that he needed to know. At least for now.

Bas had been thinking all of this while doing the dishes after Cop and him had had dinner. It was so quiet that his mind couldn't help but wander. Cop had helped him a bit, even though today was his day to do the washing, then left to go take a shower. Bas was trying not to think about anything too much, so he obediently finished his task, and after putting everything away, he went to put on some pajamas.

Cop got out a few minutes later and came towards the bedroom, all dressed and clean.

"Want to watch a film?" He asked Bas.

"Sure. What are we watching?".

"Uh, you pick. I'll go get some coffee and snacks, okay?" He smiled and Bas did the same, nodding. "Great. Go to my bed".

Bas did just that, getting under the covers and turning on the TV to choose something for them to see. He could hear the clinking noises coming from the kitchen and he felt happy. This was a routine already, yet it still managed to give him joy. He ended up picking his favourite film – A.I –, just because he felt emotional after everything that had happened and because he hadn't seen it in a while. Cop came back with everything in a tray, got under the covers as well and placed it over them. And right now, like this, where he could feel Cop's leg against his, and he could see all the food, and the light coming from the film, and he could hear the starting credits, was when Bas felt the most at ease. And he couldn't have asked for anything more than this.

It was a long film, so they had finished all of the snacks not even after a quarter from it, and the tray was now on the floor besides them. They had gotten more comfortable, laying down, resting on some pillows. Copter had grabbed Bas' hand a while ago and was now gently caressing his fingers. And it felt so nice, so calming that Baw just wanted to sleep. His touch was distracting him from the film, it felt so soft and warm and it made his head a bit dizzy, so he looked for more. Bas turned on his side, and hugged Cop's waist while he continued his caressing. And Bas could hear his heartbeat now, slow-paced and regular. And he could feel his chest moving up and down, and the motion of it was rocking him into a deep sleep. He squeezed Cop's hand, and he, in return, kissed Bas' head. And they stayed like this for a while. He could still hear the film in the background, and it was adding to the feeling because he loved it so much.