▪ Chapter Eight ▪

please don't judge me
for the way I feel things

i never claimed to be a simple person.

: ▪ : ▪ : ▪ :

"Uhh – " Bas had managed to say when all of a sudden, he had a handful of P'Kim standing right in front of him, his eyes wide and wary, his gaze not faltering.

Bas' mouth sealed closed.

"Bas, tell me. Isn't he?" He impatiently repeated, while his eyes kept scanning Bas' face. Eagerly, he insisted: "Bas".

"Uhm... no?" Bas finally answered, hesitantly. P' had startled him, and now he wasn't sure what was going on.

P' was silent for a few seconds, watching him. His eyes were roaming over Bas' face, whose cheeks were still flushed. Bas felt studied, it appeared as if P' was waiting for something else to come out of his mouth, maybe for something that would deny what he had just said. He seemed...distrustful. 

"No?" He whispered, softly.

"No, P'"  Bas assured him.

He gazed at the boy for a bit more, but Bas couldn't read what he was thinking. His expression had completely changed; he  seemed... lost, distracted. P' looked away and that was when Bas was finally able to breathe properly. He had been holding his breath without realising it, trapped inside P'Kim's gaze.

Bas softly took P's arm in between hid fingers, it was cold. When he did it, the elder's eyes focused on him once more. And Bas' heart started drumming louder than ever before.

He looked so vulnerable at that moment.

"Why did you think that, P'?".

He smiled at that, and Bas' cheeks burned.

"I like it when you call me P'".

Thump thump. Thump thump.

Bas could only focus on the beating noise now; it was so loud it was deafening. He gulped.

Had P' been that close before?

"Y – you d – do?" Bas stuttered, lost of words.

He could barely think straight, everything was too much. His heart was beating so fast and hard it was almost painful. He didn't like this feeling, he didn't like getting so nervous and anxious. He needed to go somewhere safe, where he could breathe and be calm and not be on the verge of a heart attack. He recognized this feeling very well.

It was fear.

"Why didn't you tell me that before, Bas? I thought you had been playing with me".

His voice was soft as velvet. And quiet.

"I – what?" Bas asked, confused. "I – I didn't know, uh, I didn't realise that you thought Cop was my – my, uh, boyfriend".

And what was that about being playing with him? What did he mean by that?

"How could I not? You are always touching him, and kissing him" he accused, jokingly. He was in a better mood now. "And you told God that he was".

"What? No, I didn't!" Bas defended himself, his brows furrowing slightly.

P' was still grinning at him, Bas' hand still on his arm, and their faces impossibly closer.

"The day at the ice cream parlor. God said he asked you and you implied that he was". He explained.