The News

This chapter is short because it's important and emotional.
-------------------
Finn's POV

"Oh my god!" Noah screams looking at his phone. We all stare at him in confusion. He looked mortified. "I died and now I have to restart the whole level! God, I was so close to finishing!" He pouts.

I roll my eyes and go back to writing my letter. It was for Millie. I was finally going to confess my feelings for her tomorrow at school, but I get a little nervous about these things so I'm writing it all down.

Nobody knows that I like her. I've had a crush on her for so long. It's so obvious too, I don't get how nobody has caught on yet. "Finnlard, whatcha writing in your diary?" Caleb asks peeking over my shoulder. I quickly slam my journal shut and whip my head around to face him.

"Uh, nothing just some homework I'm catching up on. And it's not a diary so stop calling it that." I lie. He smirks with a nod and sits on the floor next to his girlfriend Sadie who was guiding Noah through his game. We were all in my basement just hanging out. We have nothing better to do on a Thursday evening.

The door swung open and my older brother Nick came running downstairs panting. "Fire. House. Girl." He says between heavy breaths. I look at him in confusion. What is he talking about? Fire? House? Girl?

"Nick, what's wrong?" Gaten asks looking up from his Star Wars figurines he's set up in the corner. Nick holds onto the railing on the old wooden stairs and takes a deep breath before speaking up again. "There's a fire at the Brown's house. They say a girl is trapped!"

"Dear god, Millie!" Sadie shot up from her spot on the ground and ran up the stairs, Caleb and the rest following behind her. I was so shocked my hands were shaking and my mind went blank. Did Nick just say what I think he just said? I finally processed his words. Millie Brown's house is on fire and someone is trapped. What if it's her?

I shot up and ran up the stairs behind my friends. We run past my mom in the kitchen and out the front door ignoring her screaming and questions. As we take off down the street I notice smoking rising from where her house is just a couple blocks down from mine.

Sadie noticed too, which only made her run faster. Millie and Sadie are best friends, nothing could come between them no matter how big or small the problem is. They know everything about each other.

The five of us get closer to the house and duck under the police tape blocking off Millie's street. I see her house, or what used to be her house. It's just a pile of dust now. Hopefully Millie and her family survived.

"Millie!" Sadie screams and runs towards an ambulance where Millie's family was crying. We followed behind the red head till we reached the five family members. "Where's Millie?" Sadie asks, her chest heaving.

Millie's older brother Charlie looked up at us with tears streaming down his face. "She's gone." His voice cracks as more tears flow out. My heart stopped in that moment all I could hear was the ringing in my ears. Millie's gone. I never got to tell her how much she meant to me.

I look up at everyone else who was crying and sobbing. I was still so shocked. I don't know what to do anymore. I feel empty, like a huge part of my heart got ripped out. I quietly backed away from everybody and walked back home with my head down, hiding my tears that I tried my best to hold in.

How could this happen to her? She's too good to be gone so soon. It makes me angry and sad all at once. I don't even know what to do with myself without her on this earth with all of us.

I run back home, not wanting to release my tears until I get home. I'll feel much safer there. My mother was on the front lawn calling for me. She was angry. If only she knew. "Finn, don't ever just run out without telling me where you're going! Do you understand!?" She scolds.

I sob silently and her face softens. She held her arms out wide and I quickly ran into them. I cried onto her shoulder loudly while she stroked my hair. "Is everything okay?" She asks softly and more calm than before. I only shook my head and she rocked us slowly side to side.

"What's the matter, baby?" She whispers in my ear. I sob louder. "Millie's gone!" I choke out. More tears spilling out of my eyes and I cry louder and louder. Mom kissed the top of my head and we continue to sway.

My heart shattered as I replayed Charlie's words in my head. She's gone. What can I do to bring her back? How could I have prevented this? I did ask if she could come over to hang out with me and the gang tonight. She said she wasn't in the mood, but why?

How did the fire even start? Why couldn't it have just been me? I'm gonna miss her so much. There are so many things we haven't done together yet. Millie had her whole life ahead of her and she only got to see fourteen years of it. It's so unfair!

"I miss her!" I sob out. My mom rubs circles into my back to calm me down. "I know, Finn. I'm here for you." She coos. "I want her!" I scream as I let go of my mother. "I want her! I want her! I want her!" I shout like a toddler before I fall to the ground and rest my forehead against my knees.

I was having a mental breakdown. I was already going crazy without her. I felt my mom wrap her arms around me again as I cried into my knees. Why Millie Bobby Brown? Why did you have to go so soon?

-------------------
We are just in the beginning of this and I'm just so proud of this already like this has never happened with me and a book before.

Love you.❤️