The Fire

-
8 Months Ago
Millie's POV

I plopped down in a seat on the bus after a very long and stressful day at school. Only a couple more weeks and it'll be summertime, but first a crap ton of work. Why do teachers give students extra work to do during the end of the school year?

"Hey little millipede." Finn said happily as he sat down right next to me. I turn to look at him with a smile. He looked very excited today. "Hey Finn. How was school?" I ask like I'm his mother or something. He rolls his eyes with a slouch. "It was absolute hell, but I don't have any homework to do today so I'm thinking of inviting our friends over to my house. Do you wanna come?" He offers. I would totally love to go to Finn's house to hang out with everybody, but I am busier than a bee.

I sigh shamefully. "I'm sorry but I have work to do tonight and it could take hours." Finn frowns and pats my back. "That's fine, there's always a next time. And when it's summer break we can hang out every single day of the week without anything getting in the way." The older boy explains to me with a cute little smile. He's such an intelligent man. I nod and the bus soon took off.

-

It was almost seven o'clock at night and I still haven't finished my stupid homework. I tap the eraser of my pencil on my notebook as I read over the problem in front of me. Then I decided to just take a break since I've been working for almost four hours. I sat my books and pencils on my nightstand beside my bed. I grab my phone and my ear buds and listen to some music to help relax me.

Right before I play anything, my bedroom door swings open and I see my older sister Paige holding a candle in her hands. "Millie you have to smell this candle, it is to die for." She announced as she came up to me held the candle out for me to smell. I take a little sniff and it smells like heaven. I smile and nod at the smell of fresh berries and citrus. "That's killer." I chuckle lightly and she hums. "I found it at a craft store and had to buy it because it just smelled so good. I haven't lit it yet but I'm about to."

And with that, Paige left. I put my earbuds in and press shuffle on my playlist before laying back and covering my eyes with the back of my hand.

After a while, I smell something. I start with small little coughs, but then it felt like my lungs were burning. I cough a little more before sitting up and opening my eyes. Oh my god, the room is filled with thick black smoke! I can hardly see. I rip my ear buds out and I heard the fire alarm, but my phone dropped onto the floor and fell beneath my bed. I think I have enough time to get it, the room doesn't appear to be on fire.

I get on the floor and crawl beneath my bed to get my phone. My whole body was cramped underneath there, so I tried to make it quick. I grab my phone and let out a breath before turning around and being met by something big and wood. It looked like it fell from the ceiling and it was on fire! It was blocking me from leaving. What do I do? I try to crawl around it, but the fire had spread to the floor and up my bedpost. I panicked and cried. It reached me from beneath the bed.

One minute my skin felt hot, like it was melting. Next minute I'm cold, freezing almost. Is this normal when you're being burned alive?-

----------------------

^the line that started it all.

So we've:
-been in denial (check)
-gotten a little angry (check)
-started bargaining (check)
-fell into depression (check)
-and now we're in acceptance...(check?)

What do you think happens next?👻