The Dog

-
5 Years Ago
Millie's POV

It was snowing outside as my family started decorating the house for the Christmas Eve party. I sat in my room watching the snow fall and pile up on the front lawn. I've asked my mom a billion times if I could just go out and play for a few minutes before the party starts. She keeps telling me that our guests will be here soon and she doesn't want me to my clothes all wet and dirty.

"Millie!" I heard my older sister Paige shout from her bedroom. I got down from my bed and ran out and down the hall to my sister. She stood in a mirror holding up a blue sweater with snowflakes on them in one hand and a red and green stripped sweater in the other. "Which one should I wear tonight?" She asked holding them up to her. I like the snowflake one, mainly because I wanna go play in the snow right now. "The snowflakes are pretty." I said. Paige nods with a smile and I run off downstairs to ask my mom once more if I could at least stand outside and look at the snow.

I went to the kitchen to see my mom and dad taking pies out of the refrigerator and putting them on the table. "Mommy can I-" "If you ask me about the snow one more time, I'll send you to your room and you won't come out until after the party." Mother scolds me as she set bowls of snacks out. I groan and pout. "But I just wanna go stand outside and look at it. I promise not to touch it." I plead. Mom sighs before straightening out her dress.

Before she could tell me no again, the doorbell rang and she went to go answer it. Dad stood there in the kitchen scratching his wrist and his neck. "God this thing is itchy." He complains about the big beige wool sweater with a sparkly Christmas tree on it. "Why don't you go change?" I suggest. Dad shook his head as he began to itch all over now. "I can't. Your grandma is coming to this party and she expects me to wear this sweater she handmade tonight. I wouldn't wanna break her heart by not having it on, but god this thing is gonna be the death of me." He explains.

"Millie, Finn is here!" Mom shouts from the living room. I gasp and run to the living room where I see Finn Wolfhard taking off his coat. He looks at me and smiles. "Finn! Thank goodness you're here!" I exclaim before wrapping my arms around him. He giggles and hugs me back. I heard his mom awe. I like my best friend Finn. "I have a present for you." He says. I release from the hug and look up at him. "What is it? Can I open it now?" I question.

He nods with a grin as he took a small box wrapped in gift wrap out of his pocket and hands it to me. I gladly accept it and tear open the wrapping paper. I open the little box and inside was a folded sheet of notebook paper. I took it out and carefully unfolded it. It was a letter.

Dear Millie,

Merry Christmas! I didn't know what to get you at first, but then my mom thought it'd be a good idea to write you this letter. I just wanna say that you're my bestest best friend in the whole freaking world and I hope we stay friends forever. I love you so much, happy holidays!

Finn

"Oh Finn, you have such a way with words." I comment. He smiles. "Thank you very much." Finn said. I had a gift for him, but I didn't want to give it to him just yet. I was thinking I'd give it to him after the party when everybody leaves. It's nothing fancy, I just didn't have a gift for anyone else is all. There was a knock on the door and my mother opened it. The Schnapps came in covered in snow. "Noah, you made it!" I scream in excitement then gave him a big hug. The party went on till midnight after everyone in our neighborhood showed up. People exchanged gifts and mingled. It was a good party.

-

It was almost one o'clock and the party had just died down. There was Christmas music still playing on the radio and I saw my older brother Charlie passed out on the couch snoring. The Wolfhard's were the only people left, for my mom and his mom love to talk. Me and Finn were waltzing in the living room together. "Do you want your gift now?" I ask. The older boy nods with a small smile. I had been regretting this moment all night. I'm not the best when it comes to giving gifts, I never know what to get people.

I took Finn's hand and I dragged him up the stairs and to my bedroom. I turn on the light after shutting the door and told him to sit on my bed. I've never had a boy in my room before, it feels weird. "Close your eyes." I sadly sigh. He obliged. "What's the matter?" He asked as I got down and grabbed the poorly wrapped gift from underneath my bed. "I just don't think you'll like it, but I wanted to give you something because we've been best friend since I was four." I explained.

I stood up and just looked at the mess of wrapping paper around the lumpy gift. Finn giggles with his hands still over his eyes. "Don't worry little millipede, I'm sure whatever you have for me is fine. You don't always have to give me something though, my birthday was yesterday." He reasons with me. He is right, and I did give him a gift yesterday. I don't know why I try so hard sometimes, it's a habit of mine to make people happy and to give them things because receiving stuff makes them happy.

"Here." I hand the gift to Finn. He opens his eyes and takes the gift that had been lazily wrapped. With a big grin, he unwraps it while I watch him nervously. He gasps as he held it in his hands. "Woah, I love dogs." He says as he holds the stuffed dog holding a Christmas tree. I smile at his reaction. The boy looks up at me as he stood up. "Thank you so much Millie." He wraps his arms around me. I hug him back and let out a sigh of relief. "I'm gonna sleep with this puppy tonight." I'm glad he likes his gift.-

----------------------

Ho ho ho my god I'm not ready for the next chapter and neither are you, please kill me. Get ready for sad boi hour.

Also this was Sunday's update but if you read the last chapter you'd know that I am busy this weekend. I'll give shoutouts in the next chapter I pinky winky pwomis OwO.👻