The Daughter

Millie's POV

Noni and I were taking a walk around town the next day as I thought about what Finn had said last night. He loves me and I love him, but I can't just say yes. I'm dead and he's alive. Why would he ask me out? I'm the one who's making him feel like this. I wanna say yes, but how would our relationship work? He wouldn't be able to tell anybody because people would think he's crazy for dating a dead girl. Why the hell is this so hard?

"Millie are you okay?" The woman walking beside me asked. I look up at her and shake my head. We start walking towards this big water fountain in the middle of the park and we sat down on the ledge. I keep my eyes on the ground and my arms folded over my chest. "Do you wanna talk about it?" Wynona asked. I shrug my shoulders. I don't want to speak. I'm just too confused to even open my mouth. "Could I maybe take a guess of what your problem is?"

I shrug again and it was quiet for a moment before the woman starts interrogating me. "Is it about Finn?" I nodded, keeping my eyes on the ground. Noni put a hand on my shoulder. "Did Finn do something or say something last night?" She questions. I nod. He did do something, he kissed me. He did say something, he asked me to be his girlfriend. "Okay well...what happened? You can't make me guess everything." She says.

I turn my body towards her and look up at Wynona with such sadness. "Yesterday Finn kissed me after I told him that I love him. Then, don't get mad, but when I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth I actually went to go see him again for a few minutes." She took a deep breath and nodded for me to continue. I run my fingers through my hair. "Then we talked about it and he asked me to be his girlfriend. I just don't know how we could possibly date when I'm up here and he's down there. What do I do Noni?"

It was quiet as Noni awkwardly smiled. "Honestly I think you guys should date. I mean I've sort of been hoping this would happen some day." She confessed. I scoff and roll my eyes with a grin while the woman beside me giggles. Noni really knows how to cheer me up. "But how would that work out? One day he'll become an adult and I'll stay the same age for eternity, that's what the book said. If he becomes an adult and I'm still a child, then we'll have to break up because that's even crazier if he's dating a dead child." I ramble on.

"Honey, just don't stress too much about it. If you want to be with Finn right now in your eternity, then you should. When he does get older and you still love him very much, you'd have to break things off because sometimes you have to let go of the things you love the most." She advises me. I guess Noni is right. I do love him and when the time comes, I'll have to let him go so he can be happy. It would still be a little weird us being together when I'm still a ghost, but we'll have to work that out I guess.

"Thanks mama." I say before wrapping my arms around the woman who's really helped me with a lot since I've got here. She's just an amazing woman and her daughter Jane was one lucky girl. I do wish there was some way I could repay Wynona. Then, an idea came to my head.

-

We finally got home after an afternoon of walking through the park. I ran straight towards the iPad that sat on the dining room table. "Noni, could you please come with me to see Finn this time?" I kindly ask. The woman tossed her keys and purse onto the coffee table with an exhausted sigh. "Sure honey, but when we get home you're making dinner because I am sleepy." She chuckles at the end. I nod as I type away and find what I'm looking for, making sure to hide what I'm doing.

After everything was set and Noni stood beside me, I closed my eyes and the wind blew all around us. When it stopped, I open my eyes and we stood in the living room of a lovely little house. There was a baby sitting on the floor crying while he held a wood block with a few others scattered around him. I wonder where she is. Is this the right house? "Jeez, I didn't know Finn had a little brother who's constantly loud." Wynona joked as she lightly covered her ears.

A woman with short brown curly hair enters the room as she talks to the baby and picks him up. "Awe, what's a matter honey? Don't be down." She cooed as she put the baby on her hip and bounced him up and down. She smiles and giggles to encourage the silent toddler to be happy. I glance up at Noni and she looked over at me with such confusion. I just smile and continue to watch the woman make her child smile again.

"Yay, mama made you feel better!" She exclaimed before holding the boy in her hands and gently spinning around. He laughs before she sat him down on the ground and kneels to help him build a tower out of blocks. "Jane, is everything alright in there!?" A masculine voice shouts from some where before a man with black hair and freckles enters the room, fixing his tie. Mr.Wheeler! He was my math teacher in seventh grade and he's married to Noni's daughter? I look up at Wynona to see her surprised at what's in front of her.

I grab her hand and squeeze it lightly as we watch the small family. "Everything's fine now, Mike. Are you ready for work?" Jane inquired before placing one last block on the top of the tower with a gasp. The baby grins and wiggles around in excitement while his mother quietly claps her hands. "Yeah I guess I am. I just wish we could trade places for a day. I could be the stay at home dad while you're Mrs.Wheeler, teaching a bunch of young teens about how to find the volume of a square." Mike says.

I heard the woman holding my hand chuckle a little before sniffling. I gaze up and see her crying at the sight of her daughter. She's all grown up with a husband and a baby. I wasn't expecting her to be married to my teacher from two years ago. Small world I guess. Jane really does look a lot like me though. It's kind of weird but also cool. After a while Noni and I went back home and she told me how thankful she was for me taking her to see her daughter since she hadn't visited in decades. I was happy to make her happy.

----------------------

Check my bio for the new updating schedule for this book. I know it's a lot, but we gotta get this book over with so I can work on other books.👻