The Adulthood

Millie's POV

I slam that stupid how to be a spirit book shut with a big ass smile on my face. Finally after being dead for nearly ten months I finished reading it and I know everything. I know how to move things with my mind, I know how to visit people in the real world and activate the visibility, I know what happens when a child dies versus when a legal adult dies. I know everything. The one thing I don't understand is why can't I see color beyond these walls of my studio apartment styled house. What's wrong with wearing a red shirt or yellow shorts? Why must everything be white, even the trees? It's unnatural.

A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts and I went to go answer it. I was home alone while Noni was at work giving people guitar lessons. I look through the little peephole and see David standing there patiently. Ever since I stopped visiting you know who I've started hanging out with David more. He's like my best friend or a dad to me now. I open the door with a smile and let David in. "Millie hey, I need to talk to you." He said.

I chuckle as I close the door and his clothes start to slowly fade into color. In chapter twenty six of that book I just finished it read that once people enter your home their clothes start to change and they'll get to see the color all around them as well. I hate that it only happens when he's over here, but it doesn't really matter because he's always over here. "Sure David, what is it?" I ask as he sat down on the sofa with a happy sigh.

"I started looking for children to take in." He announced proudly. I gasp and jump up and down. Finally he starts looking for a kid to adopt. I know he said that he needed to save up some money before he started looking, but money shmoney he should have been looking the minute he said he wanted kids. "Yeah yesterday I went down to the orphanage and asked them how I do it and what I need to do and such. They told me that I have to start by attending these classes that I have to pay for and luckily one starts tomorrow morning and they're gonna break it down for me." The man explains.

My smile drops as I start to process his words a little more. "So you haven't actually seen a kid yet?" I ask. David let out a sad sigh and hunched over a bit. "Come on kid, this is a big deal for me. You know that when I was alive I never had children because my wife couldn't have children and I've been a spirit for over one hundred years, so I need you to be just a little more supportive." The man begs.

I smile and nod. "You're right, I'm sorry. Congratulations on taking the first big step into becoming a parent." I congratulate him before heading to the kitchen to get some water. "Thanks Mills. Maybe when I do actually get a kid you two could have play dates and such." David suggested. I shrug as I struggle to open a bottle of water, but I eventually get it open. "Yeah, play dates. I mean I'd love to, it's just I'm getting a little too old, mentally that is." I reply. The man chuckles softly with a shake of his head.

"Oh please, you'll be young forever, just enjoy it." He says. It kind of hurts that I'll never get to age. I've always wanted to grow up, drive a car, get married, maybe start a family. I don't think I'll ever get to do any of that now. "Yeah, thanks for reminding me." I answer sadly. It was silent for a moment. Then David finally spoke up. "I get that you don't wanna be a kid for eternity, but trust me being a kid is way better than being an adult whether you're dead or alive. Besides you can still do fun adult things here if Noni will allow you."

I cringe at his words. "Ew David, don't say it like that." I whine as I cross my arms. This conversation just got way too awkward way too quickly. "Don't say what?" He asked in such confusion as I keep my eyes on the floor. "Fun adult things? It sounds weird." I clarified. He sighs and rubs his forehead with his hand. "I'm sorry kid, I just-" he stops himself to look back up at me. "Well why do you wanna be a grownup?" He inquired. I lean against the kitchen counter and give him a half smile.

There had been reasons on why I wanted to grow older, but those reasons are nonexistent now. So why do I wish to still be an adult now? Maybe because I still wanna have those experiences with he who shall not be named. I mean I've always told myself that I wanted to get married and have children with him, but now what's the point if I'm dead and he's dead to me? My wish is just as stupid as me.

"I don't know. I don't want to talk about it right now." I mumble to myself. David wouldn't understand, or would he? But he's an adult, he wouldn't understand. He's been married, he wouldn't understand. Whatever, marriage is a scam anyways. I wouldn't wanna spend six million dollars on a wedding dress. Oh but I do and I wanna wear it everyday and I want everyone to call me Mrs.Wolfhard. Wait, no I don't. I don't want to marry Fi-...that boy. Or do I?

----------------------

I keep waking up with an extremely dry mouth, someone send help. Also I want a baby.👻