Chapter Eighteen~Victim

I wrote this entire thing today...so there might be a few mistakes... Point them out please!

Kota and I ended up quickly making our way through the rest of the hallways, as well as sneaking into the boys locker room-where there were no cameras-and the girls locker room, which nearly had seventy. In total, there were twelve different brands of cameras not including the Academy and school ones which meant both Kota and I had to carry twelve each precariously back to Mr. Blackbourne's office.

He tried to convince me to just go back to the office when he saw I was a little shattered inside, but I was able to persuade him to keep going and not tell any of the others. He didn't like it, but he reluctantly agreed when he saw I really wanted to do as Mr. Blackbourne asked.

"Do you know why they needed two of each camera?" Kota asked me.

I shrugged slightly not having much energy after my ordeal with McCoy, I was thewless, "Magic is different for everyone. I'm just happy we don't have to take down more."

It was silent again and I glanced quickly at Kota, he seemed mad. He'd told me not even an hour ago that he wasn't mad at me, but he was angry at something. My mind flickered back and forth between asking him and not, but finally it was him who asked, "What is it?"

I blushed at being caught, "You seem mad." I commented, leaving it up to him to tell me why if he wanted to.

He sighed harshly and clenched his jaw for a moment, "I'm mad that McCoy was able to do that to you. It shouldn't have happened. We had our suspicions that McCoy was doing something illegal, and we should have connected that he was a demon as well. You never should have entered that classroom."

"It's my own fault." I reminded, quiet in the empty hall, I didn't want my voice to echo into the classrooms, "If I'd mentioned..." I trailed off not wanting to say it, but Kota knew what I meant.

"There were a hundred things we could have done differently," Kota looked at me, "and I know I shouldn't think of them. I shouldn't think of the what if's, but I'm still mad things turned out the way they did."

"Think about the future then," I told him after thinking, "What you can do and change now." Better to focus on the future than the past.

He nodded, "I have been, and I know you have magic, but what do you think about self defense?"

This wasn't the direction I wanted this conversation to turn to, "What about it?" I asked cautiously though I knew he wanted me to learn it.

"I was thinking that not everyone that's evil in this world is a demon, you should learn to defend yourself from the bad humans too." His glasses had slipped down his nose, but without a hand to push them up they were stuck.

"I can just compel them to leave me alone." Usually I loved learning new things, but the idea of a stranger getting that close to me in order to teach me seemed uncomfortable.

Kota's eyes squinted together slightly as he thought, "Then you should learn it for when you're drained of magic like you were on Monday."

I thought about it, before I mentally berated myself. Here I was trying to lie about how I felt when it was that exact way of thinking that had allowed for McCoy to get close. "I'm not sure I feel comfortable letting a stranger that close to me in order to teach me." I'd said it, to anyone else it might not have been much, but I'd revealed something about myself. I was tense with the backlash of my words, feeling vulnerable under the truth.

Kota immediately shook his head, "No, I don't want anyone else getting close to you either. I was thinking Nathan and I could do it."

My eyes widened, "What?" I asked even though I had heard him perfectly. "But that would take time-your time."