Chapter Twenty Three~The Last Secret

It was dark.

My eyesight could barely discern the shapes of people, but just as I was wondering why I couldn't see, light flooded into the room.

Instantly, I saw Nathan, Gabriel, Silas, and Victor. They were pale, with eyes wide open accented by deep dark circles underneath. Their clothes were torn and dirty, all of their hair was mused-including Gabriel's. All of them seemed to be staring blankly and hopelessly into the center of the room; but there was nothing there.

We were in the Academy hospital, in their conference room, and I couldn't help but wonder what on earth had happened. My mind was completely clear, and I knew for a fact that I was in a vision. But where was the danger?

None of them cared to sit in their office chairs, and instead they slumped to the floor. Cautiously, I approached them, not sure if I should make my presence known. Could I even make my presence known?

"We should have known." Victor's hoarse voice said, sounding depressed. Known what? What was happening?

It was silent for a few moments before Silas got the motivation to speak, "We're useless." He agreed.

A pit formed in my stomach, wondering what on earth had happened to my Chosen. Had something bad happened? I knew all of them must live because my visions would protect them, but had something happened to their family...or me?

Tears dropped from Gabriel's eyes and he didn't bother swiping them away. He let them drip down silently, not even seeming to notice that he was crying. "Fuck." He whispered.

"We deserve to die." Nathan slammed his fist into the wall, it smashed into it with far more ease than I could have imagined. His fist leaving behind a gaping hole and I was horrified that his hand might be broken, but when he pulled it out, it appeared to be fine.

What was going on? Where was the danger I was supposed to save them from? This was a vision, I had to protect them from something, but what?

"Volto deserves to die." Silas argued, his fists clenching and muscles tensing. The sorrow in his eyes appeared to turn into rage. Silas stood up, "We can't hide in here." He decided, "I don't care if we don't know who Volto is, no one can hurt me."

"But Mr. Blackbourne-" Victor started to argue, not seizing the same fierce energy his friend embraced.

"-can't have any power over us if we don't give it to him." Silas finished.

"It doesn't work like that and you know it." Nathan argued, "You don't think I don't want to charge out of this hospital instead of sitting around? Sang is-"

"Dead." Gabriel finished, looking up. Even though his eyes were bright jewels, there was darkness in them that I had never seen before. It was so startling that I almost didn't pay attention to what they were saying.

My head lurched back in shock-wait, dead? I was dead?

Victor started to shake, and he closed his eyes tightly, "Don't say that." He pleaded.

"What?" Gabriel demanded, "You don't want me to say the truth? It's true, and you can't deny it anymore. Sang is fucking dead. Volto killed her and there's nothing we can do."

Volto...killed me? I'd assumed he would, but hearing him say that was something else entirely. My heart was pounding and I realized as I looked at all of their faces that I didn't want to be killed. I didn't want to loose my Chosen. I didn't want to cause them this pain. I didn't want to die.