Chapter Twenty Four~Red Dripping Roses

"I don't understand." My hands were scrunched up in my hair, my mind had been moving a million miles a second ever since Silas had told me that my step mother had used her magic on Nathan. Magic that had caused a major fight that had ended up with Nathan punching Silas, me running away, and had five of of them hanging in the air in hours before the magic left Nathan's system. "Why would she do that? What's the point? Why fill Nathan with hate?"

Instead of meeting up with the others at school, Mr. Blackbourne had sent out orders for all nine of them and me to run into the parking lot and drive away. Silas miraculously had driven his van today, so we'd jogged all the way to it before hopping in. I'd seen North and Luke at another area of the parking lot, hopping into their Jeep. I'd looked towards where Dr. Green's car was, but it was already missing from its spot. Silas hadn't let me linger any longer and had basically lifted me into the car-as well as strapping my seatbelt on.

I knew that right now, my stepmother wasn't the most important thing on their mind. We weren't running because of her. We were running because of the Demons that had entered into their homes, and none of us were sure as to what they had done. As soon as the 'leave school' text had been sent out, Silas had ditched his phone. With Victor's house being invaded, none of them wanted to risk their phones being tracked with all the equipment laying around his mansion. It made sense to me, but honestly, beyond that my mind wasn't making much progress on that subject. My mind was fully immersed on my stepmother, and I was pretty sure I was panicking or having a mental breakdown.

I hadn't realized how many emotions I'd shoved away to deal with later. And it was later. There had always been a part of me that had assumed my stepmother would come for me. But I'd also assumed that she would pop out in the middle of the night while I was sleeping in the woods. She wouldn't wake me by yelling at me or bragging that she'd find me. Instead, she would grab me by my hair and begin dragging me. My stepmother wouldn't let go, even as she beat and punished me. Then she'd drag me back to Chicago, stake my hands to the wall in the basement, and keep me there until I finally killed myself like she always wanted.

I hadn't had the guts to entertain the idea that my step mother would go after my Chosen. She'd never shown them any interest before, why would she now? But she had. She'd gone after Nathan. Why? Just why? Why would she do that? Why wasn't she coming after me? What was she waiting for?

"Aggele!" Silas shouted and I flinched at his loud voice, jerking out of my thoughts. We had pulled off of the road and onto the side of it. Cars passed us quickly, causing Silas's van to shake at the force. He was close to me, his hand on my shoulder.

My eyes were wild, "What?" I asked, not exactly sure what had happened. Had I gotten lost in thought? My breathing was quick, my chest hurting, my heart was pounding, and I was shaking like a leaf. Good gods, my stepmother was in town.

"You were going into a panic attack I think." His accent was thicker under his emotion, and I half expected him to start speaking in Greek.

I shook my head, "I'm fine."

His deep soulful eyes starred at me, he was forcing himself to be strong for me, even though we were both uncertain as to what was happening. "Just stay with me Aggele." Silas asked of me, "Everything is going to be fine. Your mother won't get you."

He didn't understand, I wasn't worried that she'd get me. I was worried that she would get them. That she would torture my Chosen and kill them. They didn't know that my step mother had no line she wouldn't cross. They didn't understand that even though she was an Angel, she was crueler than almost every other Demon in the world. They didn't know that I was going to die in less than a week and that I was starting to suspect that she was going to be the reason behind it. They didn't know, because I had no plans on telling them.