Chapter 6

I managed to escape to Musutafu's beach on the quieter side of town before Aizawa woke up the next day.

The dock stretching out into the relatively calm water was barren of any obvious people whilst the sandy beach was occasionally trekked on by morning joggers. The still rising sun reflected off of the water as I walked down the wooden dock, hands risen over my head as I pulled my short hair into a ponytail.

The autumn breeze filtered passed me calmly as I bent down to sit with my legs dangling over the water. I sat there and reminisced the times I came here with my father, sitting in this exact spot eating ice cream or talking the day away. The days I spent with him were the memories I missed the most. Now they just seemed clouded over by my hazy judgement. Not even my thoughts seemed right anymore.

I felt a broken smile crack across my face at the remembrance of his bad humor and lame dad jokes, wishing more than anything to have him sitting with me. I couldn't even reach him in my sleep anymore without Dream Walker. I barely remembered what his face looked like.

Chewing hard on the inside of my cheek, I looked down to my hands that sat in my lap, willing away the cold tears that wanted to fall. If I thought about it, I hadn't even cried since I left Musutafu. I didn't allow it, but it seemed by returning here, so did all the hurt I forced away in order to live.

I sat there for a few more silent moments until footsteps against the wood planks creating the dock prompted me to turn around.

Surprisingly, Iida stood there staring down at me, adorned in a grey tracksuit with earbuds dangling from his jacket collar. From the heavy breaths he was releasing, I figured that he was on a jog; much like a few others who littered the beach.

"I wasn't expecting to see you here." Iid said, trying to smile.

"Neither was I." I replied bluntly, turning away from him in favor of the glistening saltwater.

He took a few more steps forward and sat down in the free space beside me. My fingers twitched at the weight he put on the wood planks.

"It's nice," he observed, staring out at the horizon. "Don't you think?"

I didn't reply out of the irritation that my alone time was interrupted, but also in fear of saying something I shouldn't. Saying something that'll add onto his false hope.

Iida too stayed quiet and drank in the view for as long as he could until his gaze was transitioned to me.

"Hey," he said quietly. I didn't meet his gaze. "You never told everyone how you lost your eyesight."

"Dream Walker." I deadpanned like it was obvious.

"I suppose I could have guessed that," He laughed awkwardly and fiddled with his jacket strings. "But I don't really know what else to say."

"Yes you do," I countered, watching the ripples in the water as a fish swam by. "You just don't want to say it."

"I don't want to drive you away from me," he confessed and I sighed regrettably. "But this kind of reminds me of how we first met."

I looked up to him finally for an explanation.

"When I saw you saving Bakugou," he began, a smile of familiarity crossing his face. "I was mesmerized. You did it so gracefully and barely moved from where you were standing to help him. It was almost the same when I caught a glimpse of you on the dock. I saw you smile and look down... it was like meeting you for the first time all over again."