Chapter 21

"What?"

Hattori paused in shutting the door to look at me, one thin eyebrow perched in confusion. I heard myself laugh and felt my hand wave her over, and unsurely Hattori obeyed and walked forward several steps.

"You must be confused," I spoke again, yet this voice was a lot softer then I usually sounded. "I don't blame you."

"Why're you talkin' like that?" Hattori questioned suspiciously, glancing to the door behind her. "What's going on? I get that what happened at the school was screwy, but —"

"Ah," said the voice. "That was unfortunate. If that didn't happen, I suppose what's happening now wouldn't be taking place."

"You're making no sense." Hattori accused, taking two steps back.

"Maybe it is best that you got her aunt and father in here, hm?"

Hattori's eyes widened and she turned completely to throw the door open. I've never seen her move so quickly.

"Yuki, Mr Aizawa!" She called down the hall. "Somethings up with Osoroshi!"

I heard the bounding steps of Hiroe and Aizawa as they ran up the stairs, and quickly they both appeared in the doorway.

"Perfect," said the voice, smiling. "Please, come in."

They exchanged looks but did as instructed nonetheless. Hattori stuck by the door as my body climbed out of the bed and toward the closet, all while pulling my short hair into a braid.

"Osoroshi," said Aizawa uneasily. "What's the matter?"

"Oh!" Said the voice, giggling suddenly. "I've forgotten to introduce myself, as of now Osoroshi isn't present here. Please, call me Hikari."

I witnessed their dumbfounded expressions as 'Hikari' turned to look at them. Another laugh emanated from her lips and she went back to rummaging through the closet.

"Then if you aren't Osoroshi," said Hiroe, sounding strained. "Then who are you and what have you done with her?"

Hikari turned again with one of my sweaters in her hands. "Osoroshi is recovering now. I am what she had created to take her place while she reigns in her thoughts."

"That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard," Hattori ridiculed. "Do you seriously expect us to believe that?"

"It's not out of the question," Aizawa spoke up relatively calmly. "She may have developed DID."

"Ah, close," Hikari said, pulling the sweater on over her head. "Very close indeed, Mr Aizawa."

"Then if I'm not right, explain what's going on." He demanded.

"I am a figment created by Osoroshi's Dream Walker quirk," she began again, striding toward the dresser. "Though the man who had poisoned her mind is gone, fragments of his quirk still lay dormant within her. As of now she is recovering in the in-between. She can see everything and hear everything that is occurring now, so when she does decide to come out, she won't be out of the loop."

Hikari spoke all while tugging a pair of jeans out of my drawer.

I glanced around the white abyss I was currently floating in. If this was the in-between, then where was the unmoving sky and grassy plain? And where was my mother?

"How will she escape?" Hattori questioned harshly. I felt Hikari tense at her tone as she slipped the pair of jeans on over the shorts Hiroe had put me in.

"Escape is the wrong word to use," Hikari corrected, plopping down on the bed again. "She'll come back out when she's ready. For now she must heal."