Chapter 29

Weekends were always the worst in terms of anticipation for me.

I did nothing but either sit alone in my room or do cardio downstairs, which didn't do much to distract me from all that was about to happen. I worked when I was alone, I did meager training indoors to prepare my body — at least a little — in hopes that it would do something to help me.

I was running on a mere few hours of sleep and couldn't bring myself to let myself rest. I was too worked up to stop working. I was too on edge to let myself sit down if I wasn't breezing through the files I had already read a thousand times.

I was in the living room, now, punching the air absently with music blaring from the TV. Hiroe wasn't home like she hadn't been for the last week and a half. She was too worried about Aizawa and made a promise to herself to monitor him. It gave me one less thing to worry about, and it kept them both in a secure and safe location, so I wasn't complaining.

But alas, that left me all by myself. It was risky to be alone, especially at night, but I wouldn't press my aunt — or anyone else — to look after me. To me, she did her part in caring for me when I was ridden to a wheelchair.

I jabbed the air for the umpteenth time before the sound of my cell ringing from the coffee table pulled me to a stop. I turned over my shoulder and squinted to make our the caller ID, and once I saw that it was Hiroe, I did a three-sixty turn and swiped the mobile up in my hand.

Pressing the 'answer' key, I held the phone to my ear. "Yuki, here."

"There's been a situation here at the station," a voice that didn't belong to my aunt said. I immediately sprinted my way up the stairs to change.

"Fill me in quickly." I instructed, putting the call on speaker whilst yanking my uniform out it's case.

"Eraserhead has escaped," said the policeman sullenly. "We tried to stop him, but it was futile."

"And Yuki Hiroe?" I pressed, buttoning my shirt on over my chest.

"She is being escorted to the emergency room now," he went on. I felt my heart fall to the floor and I paused briefly before tugging my boots on. "She was unconscious when we found her and for the most part unresponsive."

"What triggered this?" I bit, snatching my keys off the dresser before literally jumping down the stairs and out the front door.

"We're unsure, Miss," said the cop. Commotion rang out in the background. "But we advise you —"

"I'm already on my way," I interrupted, jamming the keys into the keyhole and starting the ignition. "I want a straight story by the time I get there. Make a full sweep of the area and check for any activity from Dream Walker, Satsujin, and their Living Dead."

"Understood, Miss."

__________

I screeched to the stop once I was in front of the station, and upon my arrival, I could see the front windows and the glass on the door shattered across the paved sidewalk.

I stepped out of the car and slammed the door shut before jogging up to the scene. A male officer — presumably the one I had spoken to — met me half way.

"Well?" I pressed.

He held out the white fabric he had been holding. I stared down at its dusted surface for a moment before taking it out of his hands.