Chapter 16

I stayed in that hallway for a long time before finally shaking myself back into focus.

The authorities were making their way up to my floor as I stood there, and I made sure to meet them halfway.

I skidded down the stairs, not paying much attention to the ice wall over head, how it was dripping water or the body-sized hole melted through it. The pain in both my arms had transitioned to my calves at how much I'd been running through that hospital; not to mention all the sliding and pivoting.

I didn't know why I was so tired.

I stopped walking once I felt the vibrations of the police force coming up the metal steps, holding my hand on the rail as I watched their bopping heads from above. One noticed me, and once she did she motioned to her affiliates to stop. I proceeded downward and stopped in front of them.

"Well," a middle aged man, presumably the captain, pressed. "What happened up there? Is anyone hurt?"

I shook my head slowly, raising my own injury for them to see. "No one else but me."

I tried sounding light hearted and reassuring, but my voice came out scratchy and low. I was starting to think that I didn't rinse the acid burn properly.

"And the villain?" He questioned on cautiously.

"He got away," I informed, walking passed them and down to the first floor. "But I can tell you his name."

"Then what is it?" He called.

"Satsujin."

I pushed my way through the front entrance of the hospital before anymore questions could be asked. Paramedics from another hospital as well as this one were parked outside, the backsides open with EMTs ready to aid the injured. A flurry of cop cars, vans, and motorcycles lined the lot, as well as a few other heroes who stood on standby.

"Look, Daddy!" A familiar voice pulled me to the right. Minako grinned widely whilst tugging along an older man behind her. "That's her!"

The man's brown eyes turned to me and he quickly stumbled passed his daughter to grab me by my shoulders. I stared up tiredly at him, seeing my torn reflection in the lens' of his glasses.

"Bless you," he praised, hugging me without permission. I inwardly cringed. "Bless you, young hero."

Another constriction found its way around my leg and I glanced down, seeing Minako hugging it tightly. I rose my hand and patted her head as her father finally let me go from his bone crushing embrace.

"You were so cool!" Minako complimented, smiling widely. "And your slide was so fun! The mean cops didn't believe me when I told them about it and had to see for themselves! You're that amazing!"

I tired a smile and laughed out my nose. "Thanks, kid, but I can't stay and chat."

Her smile immediately fell and her grip around my leg tightened. "H-huh?"

"I've got a lot of questions to answer back at U.A.," I told her, prying her small hands away to crouch down. "Lots of paperwork; it's the worst part about being a hero, y'know."

She couldn't seem to make herself smile at that, but instead she looked down to her faded red sneakers. Pursing my lips, I took her hands in mine.

"You were extremely brave today," I told her softly, leaning my forehead against hers to look at her face. "Even braver than me. I wouldn't have been able to slide that big old thing. Was it cold?"

She nodded, moving my head along with her. I smiled and stood up, taking her chin between my fingers to make her look at me.

"Keep your chin up, little hero," I told her, watching her eyes shimmer a different light. "You saved me today, too."