Chapter 32

I was stirred by a steady beeping and a pressure in the back of my throat.

With my eyes still closed, I gripped the familiarly thin sheets under my hands, feeling stiff and alarmed by the plastic shoved down my windpipe.

I tore my eyes open to the luminescent white light on the ceiling at the feeling of someone else's warm hand clamping down on mine; of which now were in the midst of rising up to tear whatever was in my mouth out.

My blurry vision could only make out a distorted blob of a woman with long black hair. I figured it was a nurse, and when she spoke she sounded far off and it was nearly impossible to decipher what she was saying.

I started to breath in sharply through my nose, which only served as an indicator that there was another object obscuring that ability as well.

The woman with the black hair had neglected to fade from my side or do anything about the tube in my throat. I kept my panicked gaze on her and had managed to grip onto the long sleeved shirt she was wearing. I couldn't tell if it was dark blue or black.

Seconds that felt like years ticked by before a man adorning a white lab-looking coat appeared to the left side of my vision — which threw me for a loop.

I was blind in my left eye.

I felt instant relief as he peeled back the medical tape securing the tube. I heard his soft, yet baritone voice as he told me to slowly open my mouth, and when I did he began to carefully remove the obscuration; one that I soon realized had to be an endotracheal tube.

The one doctors use to keep a comatose patient breathing.

I coughed immediately when my airways were clear, and sniffled when the nasogastric tube — the one in my nose — was removed as well.

The doctor had then proceeded to shine a light in both of my eyes — and by then I wasn't just seeing blobs of color anymore. When he was done with that, I rubbed them with my fist and blinked rapidly, hurrying the process of regaining my normal sight.

"Miss Yuki,"I heard the man say again, yet he sounded closer this time. "Miss Yuki, can you hear me?"

I turned at the sound of his voice, now being able to make out his tan skin and blond hair. He wore glasses and had green eyes; ones that struck me as familiar.

"You must be confused," said the doctor, who smiled understandingly as he set a gloved hand on my shoulder. "Do you remember what happened?"

At his question, recollections of my fight with Dream Walker resurfaced and I nodded.

"Very good," he praised and stood up a little straighter. "This might be a little hard to hear... but you have been in a comatose state for several days."

"How many days exactly is that?" I croaked, feeling something foreign bubble in my chest.

He checked his wrist watch. "Seven and a half. It's almost midnight now."

I felt my eyes widen and the doctor was quick to coax me.

"You had lost a lot of blood by the time you got here," he went on. "But it looked as if your quirk had been hastily trying to keep up and heal your wounds. The loss of blood and the kick start of the quirk prompted unconsciousness and lack of normal brain activity. Forgive my bluntness, but you were on the very cusp of death when you arrived here, Miss Yuki. If it weren't for your mother, here, I can confirm that your life support would have been turned off much sooner..."

My eyes widened, not at the fact that I almost died, but the use of the word 'mother.' I felt gravitated toward the woman who had been beside me when I woke up, and slowly I turned my head to look at her.