Chapter 5

A/N: Once again, I'd like to thank everyone that's reading this little idea of mine. For those that reviewed, a big thanks. I get all excited whenever I see a new review, and then I turn around and text my beta to let her know. Speaking of betas, Chylex28, you are awesome. I can't say enough. And yes, penguins are evil.

.....

Design For Life

"A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it." ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work

....

EPOV

I really, really disliked Rosalie. I almost hated her. She constantly picked on me and made me feel like even more of a loser. Brunch had been going fine, but I should have known that that wouldn't last. Mom and Dad seemed to like Bella, and we were all getting along rather well. Bella was extremely gracious and even offered to help clear off the table once brunch was done. She was very persistent about it and that was when everything began to go wrong. The rest of us, minus Mom, Dad, and Bella, all went into the living room. The couples all curled up together, leaving me sitting alone. I was used to it.

"Well ..."

I gave Rosalie a glare. She was up to something, but I wasn't sure what. "Well what?"

"Well, Bella and I had a little chat earlier," she began.

"What are you getting at?" I spat.

She settled back into her seat, a smug look on her face. "She's not here because she likes you. She pities you."

"No, she doesn't," I argued.

"She totally does. We talked after you left. She told me, and I quote, 'to leave the pathetic little virgin bitch alone. If anyone was gonna mess with you, it'd be her.'"

My mind was racing. What Rosalie said couldn't possibly be true, could it? The more I thought about, the more I realized that it could very well be true. Why else would Bella be here with me? She was a beautiful woman, and I was—I was a pathetic virgin. Oh, God. There was a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Alice, Jasper, and Emmett were furious that Bella would say those things. I was lost in my self-pity when Bella came back into the room. I vaguely heard what was being said, but all I could focus on was the fact that Bella had lied to me. My heart felt destroyed, and I felt sick. I refused to meet her eyes, but I saw the shock, and then the fury, that came over her face before she stalked out of the house.

"Bella left in a hurry. Did we do something wrong?" Mom asked, coming into the room.

"No, she did. She told me the only reason she came was because she felt sorry for Edward," Rose said.

Mom and Dad both frowned. "I don't believe that for a minute. Bella's a sweet girl. She's not the kind to do something because she pities someone," Mom said.

Coming further into the room, she sat down beside me. "Edward. You need to talk to her."

I barked out a harsh laugh. "Yeah, I don't think so. I don't want anything to do with someone who pities me."

Mom did her best to convince me that Bella wasn't like that, but I didn't want to hear it.

Grabbing my keys, I headed out the door, not sure where I was going. Home wasn't an option at the moment, but as I started driving, I noticed Bella walking in the cold. Guilt immediately filled me. Even if I was mad at her, it was ungentlemanly of me to let her walk the seven miles back home, especially since I was the one who invited her and drove her to my parent's house. I slowly pulled up to her and called her name. She kept on walking, ignoring me. Finally, she turned, asking what I wanted.