Chapter 20

A/N: Thank you all for the wonderful reviews and for waiting so patiently for this chapter.  I just got back from Ohio and I'm now off to the in-laws.

....

"Tattoo the pristine flesh

What is permanent anyway?

This ink only lasts 'til the grave,

Skin and ideas decompose

That which we did compose."

~Corri Alius

.... 

BPOV

I was a nervous wreck by the time that Mark rang the doorbell. I'd had a shitty ass day dealing with Jane and her bullshit. I'd talked to Seth about her, and he told me that he'd talk to her. Jake, on the other hand, seemed to really like her. I just had a niggling suspicion that she was up to no good.

Edward got up to open the door and tension filled the room when Mark stepped in. I offered him something to drink but he shook his head and took a seat on the recliner. Edward sat down next to me, and immediately I grasped his hand. Mark pulled out a file and a notebook, telling me that he had to ask me some questions. I couldn't imagine what help I would be, but agreed. I'd pretty much told Mark everything I had known.

"We've learned that Laurent was heavily into drugs. Were you aware of his drug problem?"

I shook my head. "I never knew him to do drugs, with the exception of weed once in a while. It wasn't until he turned up here after New York that I suspected he was on drugs."

Mark gave a nod as he wrote down what I had said.

"According to the M.E., Laurent had been using for quite some time. He had scars between his toes that indicated he'd been shooting up for years."

I was shocked. Truly shocked.

"So, what you're saying is that Laurent was using the whole time we were together?"

"Maybe not the whole time, but it looks like he'd been using for at least two years, and running drugs for just as long."

I was flabbergasted. "I—I had no idea. I didn't. I swear."

Mark gave me a reassuring smile. "I know, Bella. The problem it seems, is that Laurent owes money to some very dangerous people."

My thoughts were running wild. Did he owe money to the mob? Was his murder a hit? How much money did he owe? Gathering my thoughts, I started throwing questions at Mark left and right.

"Bella! Take a deep breath. I'll address all your questions in a minute. First off, I need to know if anyone has come around asking questions about Laurent or if you've seen anyone around town who seems out of place?"

Edward and I looked at each other. No one came to mind.

"The only one asking questions about Laurent is you, and I haven't seen anyone around that seems out of place. Did you ask Rosalie? I still can't figure out her involvement in all of this," I asked.

"We've cleared Ms. Hale of being a suspect. She has nothing to do with Laurent's murder," he told us.

I opened my mouth to say something, but he stopped me.

"Bella. I assure you, she has nothing to do with this. She met Laurent through her sister, Lauren. From what I learned, Rosalie decided that if you got back together with Laurent then Edward would be free to date her sister. That is the extent of her involvement in this case."