10

"I need you to understand something," Gerard says quietly, "I don't... god, how am I supposed to say this?"

Patrick looks up at him confused as Gerard runs his fingers through his hair, "Master?"

"Patrick, I just... I've been thinking a lot lately. I... it's not right." Gerard whispers, "And I've been trying not to think like this. There have always been slaves. Always been these kinds of things. A superior race and a lesser race and owners are above slaves. The rich and the poor. I don't... just... why is this so hard to say?"

"You can just say it, Master, you don't have to be afraid," Patrick replies quietly.

"What if slaves and owners are supposed to be treated equal?"

Patrick blinks, "What are you talking about, Master? Slaves are worth nothing, owners are above all else."

Gerard sits Patrick down on the bed and presses his forehead to Patrick's, "What makes slaves so worthless?"

"Th-they're slaves, Sir. They have no money, they were born into the wrong families." Patrick replied.

Gerard shakes his head, "You don't... you never get to choose these things. People don't get to choose who they're born to. So why should they be treated any fucking different?"

"What are you saying, Master?"

Gerard swears he's about to cry. Can't Patrick see it? What's wrong with him?

"I-I'm saying that... I might... I might be falling for you," Gerard whispers, then squeezes is eyes shut, "And it's so fucking wrong. An owner for a slave, but I don't understand why it's so fucking wrong. What if slaves don't have to be treated as property, and instead as regular human beings?"

Gerard lowers his eyes, "I understand, though, if you're not... y'know... you don't feel the same way...

Patrick lowers his eyes and swallows, "I don't know, Master. It's... it's a lot."

Gerard bites his lip and sighs softly, "Look I... I want you to think about this. About everything. Y'know... slaves not being property and owners being lesser than everyone makes them out to be. I want you to know the difference between love and obedience, Patrick. One is doing it out of your own free will. Like... uh... for example. If you kissed me, you'd do it to satisfy us both. Not because it's what you're supposed to do... but because it's what you want to do..."

Patrick nods a little, letting that sink in, then nodding again.

"Look I... I don't know. I need to get to a work call. Are your... are your scars healing okay?"

Patrick nods, "Brendon checked them just last night, Sir. He said they'll be healed in a week or so, Master."

"Did he touch you as well?"

Patrick opens his mouth, then shuts it and lowers his eyes, "Yes, Master."

Gerard sighs and kisses Patrick's forehead, "I'm going to kill that son of a bitch. Next time it happens, tell me."

Patrick nods, "I'm sorry, Master."

"Don't say sorry. You did your best." Gerard replied gently, "Do you want to come with me?"

Patrick blinks, "Are you sure, Master?"

Gerard nods, Patrick smiles. With one last kiss, they go downstairs.