Chapter 1

"Just my luck!" I groaned leaning my head on the metal lockers of the staffs' changing rooms.

"Have you even tried asking Al if he'll let you go?" Tricia said, leaning on the lockers.

"I don't want to test my barely existent luck Trish, you know Al isn't really impressed with my attendance this past few weeks" I said groaning.

"Oh come on Evie, you'll figure it out somehow" Tricia said, patting my shoulders as she walked out of the room.

Tricia, my co-waitress at Al's Diner was my only ticket to attend my course's obligatory tour at the museum. I was on my fourth year of college and I needed to finish all my credits if I wanted to graduate on time. Being a history major, this trip to the museum will either be a major grade booster or it'll be the greatest pullback of my college life, depending on whether I'll get the chance to go or not. And since it's my senior year, my schedule is either filled with research defenses, oral presentations and well, now the trip to the museum.

Going back to the dilemma at hand, I needed someone to fill in my shift for that day or else I won't be able to attend. It's either I loose the credits or lose my job. Either which I can't afford to let go.

Glancing at the clock mounted on the top corner of the room, I realized my shift was about to start in five minutes and I needed to change clothes. Opening the locker assigned to me, I stripped off my clothes and wore the signature red waitress uniform Al's Diner was known for. The Diner I worked for was authentic as it could get, the whole place was built years ago even before I was born.

Tying my apron around my waist securely, I braided my dark long wavy hair-which most of the time is unruly-  into a nice braid. Satisfied at how I looked, I closed my locker and headed out of the room towards the buzzing crowd.

Taking out my mini notepad and my pen, I made my way to one of the customers who held their hands up.

"Hi! Welcome to Al's Diner, I'm Evie, what can I get you?" I said not bothering to look at the person.

"Your number would be just fine" the man said.

"Greg?" I asked surprised.

How do I put it? Greg was the obnoxious jock at school who pestered me like there's no tomorrow. As hot and charming as he is, I know men like him weren't serious about girls. Even if his freakishly perfect white teeth, and styled out hair, paired with that baby blue eyes can stop a girl's tracks, I refuse to be one of their victims. It's always the same, the players on the team have their stupid bets as if they were still in highschool. Boys.

"What do you want Greg? I'm working" I said, a bit irritated for being disturbed at work.

"Your number Evie, is all I ask" he said as he winked at me.

I resisted to roll my eyes at him, because technically,  I was a server this moment and he was a customer. But if the setup was different, my fist might have just met his pretty little face.

"If you aren't going to order, I'll be on my way" I smiled tightly and went my way but Greg had other plans. He took hold of my wrist, stopping me from going away.

"Let go of me Greg, I'm not interested so just find another girl you can play with"

"Who says I'm playing? I'm serious Evie, just one date and I'll prove you wrong" he said, his blue eyes begging mine.

For a second I thought he might have been serious but I knew better. I leaned my face towards his with only a few inches apart, his face surprised at my sudden movement. I smiled teasingly at him and spoke.