Chapter 27

We were now back at the forest were the old tree stood more larger, more ominous than the rest. But unlike the first time I saw it, the unique beauty it contained was now evident and prominent compared to the first time I saw it.

Just as my eyes wandered across the forest, flashbacks started reappearing yet again. I didn't understand why I had memories involving Death here. They were all blurry, fragmented scenes, but nonetheless, a character such as Death wasn't really that hard to miss. I am positive it was him.

"Close your eyes sweetcheeks" Death whispered behind me, leaving a trail of goosebumps on my nape.

I closed my eyes in a heartbeat. I didn't know why I followed him instantly. It wasn't in my nature to do so, but I'm guessing all the stress of the past events started dulling my delinquent spirit.

3... 2... 1...

"Open"

When I finally did open my eyes, I saw nothing.

Well, nothing out of the ordinary that is. I was about to voice out my protest but shuffling on the corner halted my vocal chords.

A gasp was about to leave my mouth but Death placed his finger on my lips, effectively silencing me. I tried shooting daggers at him but I was too focused on ignoring the tingling sensation his touch had brought.

More shuffling was heard which brought my attention back to the scene. My eyes widened in surprise when I saw the person who emerged from the tree.

It was... me?

What the hell is going on?

'Shut up and just watch' Death said, invading my mind.

If I wasn't so shellshocked at seeing myself, I would've probably elbowed Death for his sassiness.

I watched myself walk aimlessly around the woods, an aura I didn't understand radiating from her. It was so powerful, so beautiful that it got me very much entranced.

Not to be narcissistic or anything, it just felt weird feeling that strong of an aura.

I watched with bated breath until I or she finally stopped right in front of the tree.

Except, the version of this tree was dying and rotting inside out.

I watched in interest as I saw myself bringing both of her hands up, palms facing the bark and closed her eyes. She breathed in deep, and suddenly, the air around the forest seemed to be different. The air contained immeasurable power I didn't quite understand, but very much felt the power. I was about to ask Death what the hell was that all about, but all too soon, the feeling was gone.

But when my eyes flitted back to the tree, I fought the urge to gasp and let my jaw fall. The tree was alive, magnificent, and literally made out of gold.

My doppelgänger, had a big smile on her face, obviously contented at how she brought life to the dying tree. I could feel the incoming headache as I tried processing what I just saw.

It feels like my memories were playing in wrong sequences. Because only hours ago, I thought I had just discovered my powers... but turns out I already knew of them?

I turned my head and was about to ask Death, but he beat me to it.

'I locked them away'

And why in heavens, would you do that?

'Patience, sweetcheeks'

I rolled my eyes at him and I swear, even though I couldn't see, I knew that smirk was present in his irritatingly gorgeous face.