Chapter 16

"You never told me why I'm here and why you're here" I said as we arrived what looks to be the town square.

"Oh... I haven't?" He asked unsurely as I rolled my eyes at him. He dropped the act and glanced at me.

"I'm sure you know I'm capable of many talents, but I am mostly known for hypnosis, hence my name"

I nodded listening to what he has to say. And something in my guts told me what he has to say is important.

"So Evie, I know you read a lot of books right? And have you encountered one with a werewolf story?" He suddenly asked.

"Um, yes, I couldn't really say I'm a fan of it though, the whole mate thing is absurd. The fact that the men suddenly become possessive and a become real class-a jerk just because they claim the woman is 'theirs' gets on my nerves. women aren't possessions"

France just chuckled uneasily and looks at loss for words.

"Why? Are the mates thing really true?" I asked unbelievingly.

"Yes. Soulmates are true. But it depends on the creatures, not all of have that blessing. For example, Werewolves, Vampires are known to have those, while the Fae, Witches and mosdon't have soulmates, but they could be one, they just wouldn't be able to feel the bond as strongly. Also.."

"Also what?"

"Us" he answered.

"You? I thought you were a god and I know gods are far from being monogamous creatures?" I questioned a little bit to loud.

"Sweet heart, I'm sure you should know by now that those books you read don't do us justice. And I'm not talking just about our looks - which of course isn't really captured through words - but I'm also pertaining to the truth.

We are demigods, either born with one god and human or another parent that isn't a god. Or... we could be cursed.

Technically, we could be a lot stronger than pure gods, especially if we were cursed or created. It sounds absurd, but it's a fact. Demigods are the product of two different species. We basically get the best of both worlds.

"And were you born with a human parent or cursed?" I couldn't help but ask. More so, because I wanted to know more about Death.

He smiled at me and answered. "I'm afraid that's a story for another time"

"So let me get this straight, what you're saying here is that demigods have mates?"

"Yes. Soulmates are literally our other half, our missing puzzle piece, the person who completes us. Because you can't have a perfect creature, that would be dangerous. So in order to limit us, we have soulmates. Some consider it a blessing because you get to spend an eternity with someone who's made just for you, some consider it a weakness and a burden because not all of us do or even want them. Most demigods, just like pure gods, enjoy the pleasure of being with different people. That's also why there's only a handful of demigods who are blessed with soulmates"

"Okay... so why are you here again?"

"I told you I'm not here to harm you, I'm here to help and set things straight. It's obvious they haven't told you yet about the original prophecy"

"Why? What does it have to do with you?" I asked. This whole prophecy thing is turning out bigger than I could possibly understand.

"It has everything to do with me. The prophecy now is linked to an incident that happened years ago when he took something very important from me" he said, his face turning vile.

"I told you how demigods can have the advantage and be more powerful than a pure god because they gain both favors. So, some view us as a threat"

"Back then, a huge crisis came out of nowhere. A lot of powerful creatures with high positions in their respective sectors suddenly lost their minds- they weren't their usual selves and some fell into a coma and never woke again. That caused a lot of disputes. The sectors became aggressive placing blame just for the sake of it. With that rate, war was bound to happen among them.

They blamed me for it, seeing as those were my specialties. But they only did that so they could lock me far away from my love, adelfi psychi mou" he said, a sad whisper.

"But I didn't do it. How could I? When I barely had the will to live when they took her away from me. But when I sorted myself out, it was too late. His plan was set into motion.

At that time, I didn't understand, but now I knew why, why all this shit happened. He was too greedy, to hungry for power that he made it a point to be on top no matter how many lives he took."

"I... I don't get it. Why did it have to be you?" I voiced my confusion. Surely he wasn't the only demigod who had a soulmate.

"It's not entirely because of me, more so on the fact that my mate was the princess of the Fae"

By taking the princess, my love away from me, he knew he already secured a scapegoat. He reasoned that different backgrounds aren't supposed to be together because it will only cause havoc. Losing one's soulmate either makes you vile and cruel or broken and ultimately, die. So when chaos erupted, he took the chance to become a hero, favored by different species. He knew he wouldn't win the favor of gods, that's why he took it upon himself to broaden his range"

There was silence for a few seconds before I heard him heave a sigh.

"He was hailed a hero while I became the villain. I lost so many years because of one selfish man's greed. Because of him... I lost her" he said, clutching his fists tightly.

My heart broke for him. Despite how dangerous he looked, what I see in front of me was a broken man. I didn't know him personally, but I could hear the truth loud and clear from the words he spoke.

"So now, the prophecy states that a great evil will do whatever it takes to gain power and control over everything. He has already manipulated a lot, and it wouldn't take long until he strikes and overpower us. They still believe I'm the bad guy and now that I broke free from my entrapment, they will try to stop me, or maybe eliminate me for good. But the truth needs to come out, we need to set things straight. He needs to be stopped even if no one believes me"

I was too scared to ask who 'he' is. I knew now was not the right time to ask seeing as he is vulnerable and it obviously took a lot of effort to spill everything. I wanted to comfort him, but I could only think of the words that might help and I hoped my sincerity would reach him.

"I believe you"