Chapter 26

For a split second, my eyes widened in shock. A million things were running through my head, but none came to focus, just the fact that he was kissing me.

Death is kissing me.

And god, he is an amazing kisser.

From the very moment his lips touched mine, I remembered. I recalled every memory that included Death. Even ones that didn't make sense. Everything seemed so blurry but as our lips met, it was like a spark had ignited and the invisible drape that clouded my memory was lifted.

Memories were flooding my mind in an instant, even down to the last moment before we got separated. I almost kissed Death! I was the one who instigated it. But now... he was the one who did. And boy, I don't think I have ever been kissed like this. All I cared at this moment was him, and the overwhelming feelings that came alive as his lips did wonders on mine.

I let my lips move against his, feeling the stubble on his jaw graze against my skin.

I still feel hot inside, burning, but maybe it was the different kind.

I mimicked him, moving alongside his painfully slow movements whereas I was just ready to jump him right here, right now. To hell with whatever Elder Sylvia and the others would think.

Carefully, I placed my palms against his mid section. I felt him stiffen but the action only seem to have urged him as I felt him put more pressure. I could feel every curve and line of his abs and the way they clenched as I moved my fingers against them.

His hand was now at my nape, pulling me closer than possible. He was so huge that Death was practically bending his head to meet my height.

I had my eyes closed, savouring how his lips tasted, how his strong hand grasped my waist, how I didn't want this moment to end...

but all too soon, Death's voice invaded my mind.

Sleep, sweetcheeks.

Like a lullaby that calmed and soothed my senses, I felt myself drifting off with Death there to catch me as I fell.

I woke up upon hearing soft murmurs inside the room. As my eyes started to focus, I tried pulling myself up in a sitting position, but my body ached everywhere. My head was pounding and my throat felt so parched.

"She's awake" Alexandra said, cutting off the chatters. She shuffled quickly to the side of my bed and held my hand.

"How are you feeling?" She asked, worry evident in her face.

"Honestly? I feel like shi-"

"Okay, I get it" Alexandra chuckled but the smile didn't reach her eyes. In fact, she looked like she was just keeping the tears at bay.

I smiled warmly at her, appreciating her thoughtfulness. "How long was I out?"

"More than a day" she answered and I nodded my head, letting that information sink in.

I was about to rack my brain for the past events but then my gaze flickered to the group of Elders on the farthest corner of my room.

"What the hell are they doing here in my room?" I couldn't hide the my obvious distaste for them.

"Relax Vivie- I mean Evie, they're good. It was just a test, and you passed" Alexandra quickly explained. "And much more.." she added unsurely.

"Test? What are you talking about?"

"I believe it would be best, if I explained it to you" Elder Sylvia said, coming forward hesitantly.