Chapter 23

"But.. that can't be" I didn't understand what she meant. If I finished my duties as the eight chosen one, I will be relieved of any responsibility. But if there wouldn't be a 'next one'...

"So what? I'll be forever like this? The fate of the universe will always be on my shoulders?" I practically shouted as I stood abruptly from my seat.

I staggered a bit, feeling the weight of the revelation.

"Vivienne, calm down, please" Cadence said, placing her hands on my shoulders. I shook them away and closed my eyes trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

"You cannot tell me to calm down! I haven't even descended and yet the weight and pressure is unbearable. And what? I'm destined to do this forever?!" I laughed sarcastically, I could feel the heat radiating off my body.

"You're glowing..." Adelia said from the corner.

"Flattery will not calm me down you know! And come on, coming from you? look at me and look at all of you! Please, I'm not falling for that" I scoffed as I could still feel the heat from inside. I was raging.

"No. Vivienne, you don't understand, you're glowing. As in literally" Edelina said slowly as if she's talking to a child.

I let my eyes wander down to my hands and I think my jaw just fell. My eyes widened in shock as I saw my hands - scratch that - my whole freaking body, glowing gold.

"What the fuck"

"Holy shit"

Serena and I cursed at the same time while we felt Gardenia's reprimanding gaze.

"What is happening to me?" I whispered.

"Sister, did you see what powers she possess?" Delilah inquired, looking up to Gardenia.

"No.. like I said, I only saw darkness" she said as she stood up from her seat.

"Powers?? What do you mean powers?" I asked but nobody answered me.

She took careful steps towards me until she was only an inch away from where I stood. "Edelina" she said without looking.

As if they had telepathic powers, Edelina nodded her head and a little humming bird materialised out of nowhere. It flew towards Gardenia's open palm and when it landed, Gardenia only snapped it's neck in a split second.

"OH MY GOD. Why did you do that!" I shrieked as I hurriedly took the bird from her to see whether I could still save it. But I knew I couldn't, the damage was done.

But still, I held the bird in between my hands and a tingly feeling ran through my body towards my hand, down to my fingertips.

The bird suddenly jumped upright and tweeted like nothing happened. It chirped towards me, its head tilted while looking up to my astonished face.

"I..." I trailed not knowing what to say.

"That's why... You possess the gift of life" Gardenia concluded as realization dawned her, her smile mirroring that of a proud mother.

"That's why the cycle ends with you! You can't die!" Cadence shouted in response.

"You just said we can't die. I don't get it"

"We cannot physically die. We are eternal. But what I meant by 'die' is becoming non existent to the world we were born in. For us, we are already non existent to the people we grew up with, the people we interacted. But you on the other hand.. your place is permanent. After all, life is literally on your hands"

"I still don't understand. How come I am the only one different?"

I was only met with silence as I looked to each and every one of them. My eyes begging them to give me an answer.