Chapter 28

Just as Death spoke those two words, his lips connected with mine in a fiery, passionate kiss. I wove my hands around his neck, pressing my body into his. I could feel his taut muscles through the fabric of his clothes, the way his strong arms held me close and secure. And those lips that made sure the words he said were clear.

I can feel Death pushing us forward into the bark of a tree. His body pushing into mine unconsciously. His grunts and our heavy breathing was very audible.

I reluctantly broke away from the kiss, needing oxygen to breathe. We were both breathing hard but I fought the urge to kiss him again, and asked the question that lingers in my mind.

"What did the carvings mean?" I asked, my voice raspier than I intended.

For a moment, Death's eyes were directed on my lips again, but after a few seconds, he brought them back to my eyes. He was silent for a while, until his voice invaded my mind.

'I will always find you, even if death becomes of me'

His words brought a heavy feeling to my chest. Physical death was impossible for immortals like him, yet he was willing to go to such ends to find me, to protect me. Even to an extent that his punishment became literal.

He did become death, the Angel of Death.

I didn't realize tears were already streaming down my face. Not until Death's lips kissed away the tears.

"Why did you do that?"

"What? Write the carvings? I was feeling kinda poetic that day" he said nonchalantly.

I punched his chest and glared at him. "That's not what I meant you doof! Why would you do that, why would you compromise your life like that!"

I was angry, confused and touched all at the same time.

"Please don't cry. I can't bear to see you cry" he murmured against my skin. Clutching my body closer to his. He sighed, and proceeded to cup my face, tilting my head so I could face him.

"Like I said, you're mine as I am yours. And if I have to break rules, I will. If it meant I could provide you freedom, peace and happiness... I really don't mind the consequences"

His declaration made my heart melt. I'm so overwhelmed with emotions and revelations that I'm starting to lose my footing. I remained silent, finding the words to say to him was so difficult.

Death was searching my face, until he shut his eyes forcefully as if he just realised something.

"We should get you back to the palace, your highness" he suddenly said, even though he made no attempt to move. His hand was still on my waist, and his eyes staring heatedly at me. "I bet this is all too much to take in"

With that, he closed his eyes again and took a deep breath. He put some distance on us and started to walk back to the palace.

I was confused at the sudden coldness. It was just seconds ago that I could literally burn in the heat between us, but within a snap, it was replaced with the cold.

I couldn't bear the feeling of emptiness, even with just seconds apart. I reached out to grab his hand, urging him to stop.

"What's wrong?"

His whole body tensed at the question. The darkness around us seemed to have grown thicker, as if mirroring Death's feelings.

I slowly, but steadily reached my hand out to touch his cheek. When my hand finally touched his face, his stare intensified. I moved my thumb around his face, tracing the outlines of his angular face. That seemed to have calmed him down as he closed his eyes and sighed. He took hold of my hand and intertwined his fingers with mine.