Chapter 18

I woke up gasping. Water bubbles blurred my view and I immediately registered I was underwater and when I swam up for air, I breathed in as much as I could.

"Oh my goodness Vivienne! You had us worried!" A feminine voice shouted. I coughed a few times before gentle hands started patting my back.

"T-thanks"

When I opened my eyes, I was met with the most beautiful place I have ever been. Everything seemed so shiny and gold that I couldn't help but turn my head around like a tourist would.

The waters I was currently in was sparkling under the golden sunlight. The trees were so alive and vibrant, the birds chirping, and even my view above consisted of perfect  clear blue skies.

It was like paradise.

"Vivienne! Vivienne!" the unfamiliar feminine voice from earlier shouted in front of my face as she shook my shoulders.

"Is it necessary to use the full name-" I started but when my eyes focused on the drop dead gorgeous woman in front of me, words no longer came out.

"What are you talking about?" The blonde woman with fair skin and honey blonde hair said. Her blue eyes shone with confusion.

"I..." I trailed not sure what to say. She continued to stare at me with such worry until another woman shouted and we both looked at her.

"Alexandra! Vivienne!" She shouted. She was running towards us, her small figure reaching us daintily with her brown hair swaying everywhere. She was wearing a loose white dress that came tight at the right places.

"Are you both alright? Elder Sylvia is furious! She's looking for the princess" she rattled on, her small figure heaving in distraught.

"Come on, we need to hurry, we don't want getting the princess in trouble would we?" She said as she swam away.

I nodded, not wanting someone, much less the princess to get in trouble. I swam towards the end of the lagoon with the petite girl's hand outstretched for me to take.

I grabbed hold and even though she was small, she easily pulled me out.

"Thank you" I said as she handed over a white cloth that I presumed was the towel.

As I was about to reach it, I felt the cold breeze I would normally feel only when I was naked-

"AHH" I shrieked as I covered myself up with the cloth she offered.

"What? What's wrong my lady?" They were instantly both at my sides and I just noticed how Alexandra, as she was called earlier- was also naked.

"You're naked! And I'm naked!" I shrilled as I noticed we were no where near a private location.

Their brows scrunched up in confusion and that's when I remembered.

This is from a different time.

"Uh.. I mean we could get colds if we don't cover up" I replied lamely even though I was clutching the covers for dear life.

"Is your ladyship cold?" The look on their faces were so comical. As if a simple cold would kill me.

"Yes, colds?" I repeated.

If it were any more possible, the look of dread that was currently displayed in their flawless faces doubled.

"We don't get cold Vivienne.. how could we when fire burns deep within us?" Alexandra answered looking at me strangely.

I racked my brain for a brilliant excuse but none came to mind.

She quickly wore her blue dress and quickly assisted me in wearing mine. I stood there like a doll being dressed but they seemed to be in a hurry.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"You're acting strange. We need to get you to Elder Sylvia" Alexandra said.

I almost asked who, but then I guess it was best to keep my mouth shut. I didn't know what would happen to me if I made the wrong move or said the wrong thing.

They pulled me by my arm and I let them lead me towards this Elder they kept on saying. It only took a couple of steps before I felt the warmth of the flames enveloping us and within a flash, we stood just outside a huge palace.

It seemed odd that there were no guards, but before my eyes could wander further, they quickly pulled me in, pushing the giant mahogany door and letting ourselves in.

Our footsteps echoed throughout the tiled floor and I saw maidservants cleaning and dusting imaginary dirt. And when we passed them, each one the girls bowing at our direction. I couldn't understand why I didn't find the actions weird and instead I only smiled at them. But these two were in such a hurry I doubt they even saw me.

"Catalina, the princess need something to eat. Have it delivered to her quarters after an hour" Alexandra instructed and the petite woman, who I now know is Catalina, nodded her head in understanding and went the opposite direction.

We continued with our steps, as I took in the palace walls as much as I could. It was so grand and shiny that I felt so dull standing inside it.

Everywhere I look, the magnificence and beauty of the palace, down from the marbled floors and up to the sparking chandeliers, it felt like the whole place was dipped in diamonds and gold.

Damn. The royal family is loaded.

When we Alexandra stopped just in front of a regular door, I faced her and but she was too focused on the door. The way she clutched my hand was tight enough that I couldn't go anywhere.

"Um.. Alexandra? Do you mind loosing your grip a bit? I'm not going to disappear" I joked but she didn't laugh. She shut her eyes as if pained and heaved a sigh.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, your highness" she said facing me with a small smile, unshed tears filling her eyes.

Your highness?

I was about to ask her what she meant, but the door opened and an old yet beautiful lady stood opposite us.

"Elder Sylvia" Alexandra bowed her head and I went to do the same, but she interrupted.

"Come inside. We have a lot to talk about Vivienne. You may go, Alexandra"

I looked at her then glanced at Alexandra. She urged me to go and I took tentative steps towards the room. I could feel her inquisitive gaze not leaving mine.

I entered, expecting a simple room to greet me, but instead, I find myself gawking at the view in front of me.

I tilted my head up and admired the view. At the center of this huge space, stood a big orb held by intricate swirls of , yes you guessed it, gold again. In the middle of this giant hole was transparent, yet bright gold liquid poured out from the middle and into the pool.

I wasn't aware I have already come closer until I felt a splash of gold substance touched my cheek. It felt warm and tingly as I wiped it off dry.

"You know, if just one spec of drop landed on our skin, it would've burned us. Yet you don't"

"What?!" I shouted a little bit too loud as I took a giant step away from the giant gold fountain.

The old lady chuckled warmly, her wrinkles becoming more prominent with her laugh.

"Stupid girl, I just said you won't get hurt by it" she smiled at me. "No matter how many times you are reborn, I guess stupidity knows no bounds"