Two years later

"You need to go downtown to get those damn food stamps and stop moping around the house like you lost your best friend!" Grandma yelled. I rushed down the steps to see who was at the door.
"Can I help..." the words caught in my throat. King T'Challa and Okoye were at my door.
"Leanna," T'Challa bowed and walked inside.
They both looked around and quite frankly I was embarrassed. My house was nothing compared to theirs in Wakanda.
"How are you guys?" I asked picking up my grandmas ash tray off the coffee table and magazines.
"Good, we just wanted to stop by and check in on you all," T'Challa said sitting down on the couch. Okoye remained standing. I sat in the chair across from him.
"We're good, I graduated with my bachelors and masters. Got a new apartment. My mom is fine and grandma is...grandma of course," I laughed. Over the past two years, T'Challa and I became closer. Once a month he would come and check in on us.
"And the money we sent you?" He asked.
"I haven't touched it," I said embarrassed.
"Not in the two years since I gave it to you?" T'Challa asked shocked. I nodded my head.
"I try not to think about the money," I said. Creaking sounded from the top of the steps.
"Well, Lea who is it?" Grandma hollered down the steps.
"You have to go," I said quickly standing. Both T'Challa and Okoye rushed out. Grandma was half way down the steps.
"Didn't you hear me talking to you? Who was it?"
"Jehovah witnesses."
***
I was on my way to pick up my daughter from daycare. It was evening and the orange fluorescent street lights lined against the road. I gripped the steering wheel trying not to fall asleep. Once I pick her up I was going to run to the story and buy her another case of diapers.
When I pulled up to the babysitters they were waiting for me at the front door.
"Damn," I said mostly to myself. I walked up and Ms. Gina handed me my baby.
"She was good today," She said also handing me her bag.
"Thank you Ms. Gina," I said walking to the car.
"You're welcome and hey... tell your grandmother I'll see her at bingo!" She laughed. Oh lord they still have bingo halls? I waved my hand and went back to the car.
"Mama?"
"Yes juju?" I said strapping her in the car seat.  She kicked the back of the passenger seat.
"Oh no you won't little girl," I hopped into the drivers seat and drove off. I turned on some music. Sade's Paradise played on the radio. Juju started humming to try and sing.
"Go baby I hear you...I wash the sand off the shore, give you the world if it was mine," I sang. I pulled into the parking lot and took Juju out. Juju gripped my hand, as best as she could, as we walked inside. Instantly she ran over to the box of cereal that they had in the impulse line.
"Mama?" She said waddling back to me with the box. Sure enough it was her favorite kind too.
"Ok we can get it but hold mommies hand ok?" She held onto my pinky.  We walked through aisles and I purposefully avoided the toy section.
"Finally, diapers!" I grabbed the box off the shelf and tossed it into the cart. Juju peeled around the corner.
"Julissa!" I yelled. I watched as her small self try and speed walk down an aisle. Her laughing bounced off the walls. When she took a sharp right into another aisle she must have bumped into something because she fell back on her butt.
"You ok?" I asked scooping her up. She didn't cry, didn't even blink she just stared into the aisle. I looked over and a guy with a beanie was standing there.
"Sir, I'm sorry," I said.
"No, I'm sorry," he said. When he turned around my breath caught in my throat. He lifted his hoodie and revealed and gun. I backed away quickly and ran for it. I ran right out the door and into the car. I locked the doors and put Juju in her car seat. He knocked on the side door and I screamed.
"I just want to talk." He said.
My hands trembled as I snapped on my seat belt.
"Oh no," suddenly my phone rang, "hello?"
"Hey Leanna, it's Nat."
"Right now is not a good time Nat," I said switching my gears into reverse.
"There is something important that Nick needs to talk to you about," she said calmly. He hopped on top of the car and and I jerked into drive.
"Like what!" I swerved around trying to knock him off. Juju started crying in the back seat.
"We need you back on the team..."
"I-I can't Nat... I have a child now--"
"Clint has three, so what is your excuse again?" She asked. I turned the corner and began driving away but not home.
"I'll talk to you later,"
"Green leaf hotel Florida avenue and 23rd street. Meet me there." With that she hung up. Fuck! Who was that guy? Why did he come after me? I looked back at Juju and she was fast asleep. Guess I should call Erik.
"Yo?"
"Natasha wants to meet with us, meet me at the Green leaf hotel, I picked the baby up so I'm on my way."
"Bet."