The Morning After

We laid in the bed inside of the kingdom. Erik to my left, Juju in between us and Shuri on my right. I leaned up and Shuri quietly sobbed on her side. I went to touch her shoulder, to let her know that I was here, but I retracted it. I slid out of the bed and a twinge of pain shot through my pelvis. On the floor, seated in a meditative position, was Okoye. She lifted her head and looked at me with blood shot eyes. I nodded my head towards the door and she nodded back in agreement. 

Once outside the room Okoye shuttered and cried out wrapping her arms around me. I blinked back the tears that were threatening to fall from my eyes.

"He's gone...he's really gone," she whimpered. I hugged her tight and exhaled. Nat came out of the next room looking at us. I motioned for her to go back into the room and mouthed, "Talk to you later."

"Shh Okoye, it'll be ok. We have to be strong for Shuri," I said releasing her. Okoye looked at me skeptically and then looked down at my abdomen. 

"How are--"

"Please." I said shaking my head. She nodded and hugged me once more before walking down the hallway. I limped up the hallway and in the distance I could hear the outbursts and cries that traveled over from the city. People were waking up without their children, parents, and loved ones. The worst thing is that we have no clue of knowing what was going to happen next. I walked down into the main entrance when I felt something warm rolling down my legs. 

"Shit." I looked down at the small blood droplets. I turned to go back up and froze. Erik stood at the top of the steps with his arms crossed against his chest. He looked at me with dewy eyes.

"Juju?"

"She's still asleep and so is Shuri...we have to get you to a hospital," he said. I shook my head. He walked down to where I was and reached out for me. I swatted his advances away, trying to evade his grasps at my wrists. 

"No, no...Erik, Erik, please, no..." I gave up and let his arms engulf me. 

"I told you a long time ago...you don't have to be that strong black woman alone. We both lost a child baby."