13

OLIVIA'S POV

My mind is currently in a haze. A lot of questions are running through my head and I am well determined to find those answers. Whatever it takes.

So I picked up my phone and dialed a not so familiar number. After three rings, the person on the other line picked up.

"Hello?" 

"Sky..., it's me." I know she's the only one who can help me with this.

"O-Olivia? Why the f--- are you calling me this early? Do you know what time it is? It's like four in the morning." I can tell that I woke her up because her voice is still sleepy.

"I'm sorry, but I can't sleep and I was looking for a great timing to call you. There are a lot of questions in my mind, and I need those answers. And I knew you have them, so please..."

"Fine, I'll text you my address."

"Thank you, Sky." I took my key and drove off to the address she gave me.

***

"Would you like some coffee or cocoa?" Sky offered me while preparing in her kitchen.

"I don't think coffee will help, considering how nervous I am right now."

"Oh right, coffee adds more nervousness, hot cocoa then." Looking at her place, it looks really lonely. I guess she lives alone in this house.

"Thank you." I said after she handed me the cup with a hot cocoa.

"So I'm guessing you want to hear the full story right?" I could only nod at her.

"Well..."

***[FLASHBACK]***

SKY'S POV

When we were still kids, I could always tell that Addi, my best friend and also my third-degree cousin, is very fascinated with science. She always talks about experimenting with new things and making a big change in this world and I was always there to support her. So when we grew up, both our parents funded a science laboratory and facility so that Addi and I could participate in the experiments. Our parents were really supportive of us ever since they found out that we were "extraordinary" kids, as what they say.

Addi is not a normal kid, so am I. But she was very intelligent than a normal kid should be. As we grow up, she told me that she was Bisexual. How can a kid even know what Bisexual means? And she told me about the struggles of the LGBT couples, not having their own kid, and asking some stranger to be a sperm or egg donor.

At the age of 17, she had this bright idea of creating a baby with the same gender. At first, I was hesitant to help her, but remembering my promise with her when we were kids, I helped her throughout the process.

3 years of trying to find some data that could help us. 3 years of endless stress. 3 years of experimenting. And then somewhat like a miracle, it kind worked. It worked with the animals we tested. But we were still hesitant to do so because animals and humans are different.

But Addi didn't give up. Looking for someone we could do it with, there was none. Until she told me that her girlfriend of one year, Olivia, is willing to do so. 

"Are you really sure about this? What if this fails? Humans and animals are different in terms of DNA structure, there is a VERY small percentage that this will work!" 

"I will take that small percentage to make this happen. You see, if this works out, imagine the couples worldwide that we can help!" I was blinded of how persistent her eyes looked.

"Then what if it works, but the child will have some defects, what will we do? What will you do?" 

"Then I will love that child."

"Even if Olivia will hate it?"

"I don't think Olivia will do that, she is not that kind of person. I know she will love our child." She actually said that to me with a blush on her face. Damn, my best friend got it hard.

"Stupid." That was all I can say to her at that time since no one can ever change her mind.

A few months after, it became really hard for us, since Olivia has a med school and a part-time modeling, and both Addi and I still have to go to school for a business major. For months, Addi and Olivia have to use a medication to prepare their body and eggs for the experiment. 

It took us for almost a year to finally have a positive result. But because of Olivia and Addi having both busy schedules, the baby has to be in another woman's womb for 5 months. But before the baby could reach to five months in the woman's womb, she committed suicide.

We didn't know the reason why she committed suicide, but some say that her boyfriend broke up with her because she's pregnant. We didn't even know she had a boyfriend, we even cleared it to her from the start that relationships are forbidden while in the process of the experiment.

We tried to save both lives, but we couldn't. There was too much blood loss and we were running out of time. We tried to save the woman, but it seems like her body is not responding to everything we did. So we did what we think was best for all of us. We took the baby from the dying woman and transferred it to a tube that can help the baby to live.

"It's vital signs are normal now. All we have to do is always give its nutrients and monitor its growth." Addi looks pretty relieved and happy at the moment.

"Yeah, you're right. But we still have to be careful. We haven't even told Olivia about the incident yet."

"You should tell her. She has the right to know, it's also her baby."

"I will, I just need to find the right time to tell her. She's already stressed with her med school and modeling. I don't want to add more to it."

"I understand, I just hope that the baby will live longer with the help of these machines. I mean, we aren't even sure if the baby will last to nine months. It would be a miracle if it happens."

"A wonderful miracle." She says while touching the tube where the baby is being put to keep it alive. I can see the admiration my friend has the way she looks at the baby. I'm sure she will be a wonderful mother.

*****

I'm very sorry for updating so late.